Massive update due to an upgrade by the NWS of their site on 10/4/04, which a
lot of our links point to, so our links to their site were broken and needed
immediate attention. If you are using a copy of the SCPA link list, we
recommend scrapping your old list and starting over with a fresh copy.
The NWS upgrade provided more functionality and better graphical products to
assist in understanding what's going on, but some of the upgrades simply took
plain text and added special fonts and color. Load times are slower, so
the dial up access has suffered. Some of the old plain text stuff that
used to load almost immediately now takes several seconds on a fast connection.
Our SCPA update included
- Changing the URL link to our Weather Page to a new file name from page.htm
to index.htm. The original logic is that the URL looked nice, but by
making it an index file the user doesn't need to type in the file name.
Rather than scpa.info/weather/page.htm, you now only need to type
scpa.info/weather and the server will return
http://scpa.info/weather/index.htm. This of course will cause some
havoc, but with the NWS tornado we might be able to squeak under the radar.
- Locating new links to replace broken links
- Adding a new interactive observation map (check it out, it works nice, but
is slow to load)
- Removing the link for the NE zone forecasts to save real estate. You
can still get to it from our primary zone map by stepping up and over one
- Adding links for the Cuyama Valley Forecast
- Adding a new link for the Plowshares Wind Talker (aka Perry-Talker),
listed on the NWS site as Miranda Canyon Observation. The old link was
broken because it was running on Craig Warren's computer near Toro Canyon, but
Craig moved to Colorado.
- Adding links to some of the observation reporting stations to show their
location and provide access to a secondary product provider
- Redoing the Image Links Extensively
- Removing the AccuWeather links because of their excessive pop up ads
- Adding replacement links to non commercial sources without pop up ads
(the Underground Weather Visible Satellite image still has a pop up)
- Revising the home page
- Moving the revision history off the cover page to a new location
- Adding a link in the upper left corner back to the cover page
- Renaming some of the files to make it more intuitive
- Adding new info / instructional pages for
- The Winds aloft (the old link went to AWC help page, but they moved
their help page and I couldn't find it so I wrote one)
- Zone Forecast
- Observation Map
- CRWS links
- Radar links
Still on the to do list: Check with Fred and Don regarding updating the
Balloon Links and associated help page.