For the general membership meeting held on the above date,
one week later than normal scheduling due to scheduling conflicts
At the following location:
Bob Hurlbett's Law Office
15 West Carrillo
Opened meeting about: 7:15 PM
Welcome, Guest & New Members
|Cathy||Drew||Recently moved here from Aspen. She has been flying about 2 1/2 years. Trained with Dick Jackson and company. Flies an extra small Bolero|
|David||Haight||Lives locally in Montecito. Has been flying Hang Gliders locally for many years. Dabbled with paragliders several years ago, and took formal instruction about 6 months ago. Currently flying both HG & PG depending on conditions. Flies an Apco Sierra|
Minutes Ratified from last meeting held on: 8/14/02
- Kristi reported
- Our only expenses paid since the last report were 2 $10 bank service fees
- We have $982 in the bank at the start of the meeting
- Bob Hurlbett will be reimbursed for flowers sent to: Bella ($62) and Bruce's Family ($70)
- $250 was collected for the Inyo County Search & Rescue. Ron Faoro offered to contribute an amount equal to the down payment he put up for the Christmas party, so rather than reimbursing Ron, our Treasury will pay $50 into the Inyo County Fund.
Hesham, needs contact information for the SLO club. They are reportedly putting up a sensor at Plow Shares, and we would like to review their choices. (Subsequent inquiry by the secretary indicates the SLO club is likely to abandon efforts to put up a wind sensor at Plow Shares. The project volunteers discovered the Branch Mountain reporting station listed on the SCPA weather page. The Branch Mt. data has proven to be a good indicator, so the value proposition of committing resources to developing a station on site is diminished)
Hill Canyon: Current Situation was discussed. Pilots are flying the site regularly. Pilots need to understand the politics of the site prior to flying there. Property ownership is split between the Parks Service, The city of Thousand Oaks, the County, and a lease holder. Launch is owned by the city of TO, and the LZ is owned by the County. Pilots are currently avoiding Park Service property and the rangers have stopped harassing pilots. There was some discussion of requesting commercial operators to avoid impacting the site because our current unofficial acceptance is currently fragile.
New Business & Announcements
- Bob Hurlbett proposed the formation of a Safety Committee, but no one volunteered to chair it.
- Various safety gear was shown and discussed
- Body Armor
- Marine Strobe Lights ($20 to $35)
- Marine Locator Beacons ($300)
- Pending Emergency Locator Beacons
- A pending proposal to grant Bruce Wallace's family lifetime membership in the SCPA was introduced. No action taken
- Ojai Competition
- Some of the landowners were upset about the recent competition in Ojai put on by Ojai Paragliding
- The owner of Bocalli'sdidn't like his place being used as a meeting place without his prior consent
- The owner of the LZ didn't like people parking in front of his property
- Someone spoke with Julie Montero, the daughter of the Landowner
- It was suggested that in the future, we don't leave vehicles on the road in front of his property. It is better to park off site and get a pickup, or walk down the street to Bocalli's.
- There was a concern that Ojai Paragliding listed the SCPA as a co-sponsor of the event. The SCPA was not a co-sponsor and did not endorse the event.
- Bob Hurlbett will draft a letter to Claude requesting that he consult the club prior to using our name as a reference
- Tony Deleo submitted a letter of resignation because he is no longer flying paragliders
- Christmas Party
- Saturday night, December 14 from 5 to 9 PM (they close at 10)
- Hidden Oaks Club House (near More Mesa)
- $20 per person (RSVP to Bob Hurlbett)
- ~$6 goes to the club house, and Ron will pick up food from Palazzio's
- The party will also serve as our December Meeting. Limited business to elect a new President and Treasurer.
To be conducted at the Christmas Party
5 PM, Saturday, 12/14
Hidden Oaks Clubhouse
4760 Calle Camarada
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
Summary & Close about 8:30
Bob Hurlbett for use of his Facility