SBSA Yosemite trip.

Club meetings, competitions, and event announcements.

Moderator: Moderation Team

SBSA Yosemite trip.

Postby zippy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I've been in contact with the Yosemite HG Assoc. http://www.yhga.org I have a site monitor willing to host us for several dates.

The first two I'll suggest are either:
Memorial Day weekend (National HG/PG day) May 28-30 No camping, staying at Yosemite West Condos inside the park. http://www.yosemitewest.com/ywcondos.htm Earlier will likely be colder but should have better waterfalls!

2nd-4th of July Camping in the park (not sure yet which CG he can arrange)

He suggested other dates, but I have comps during those times and dammit I want to fly there! But we can vote on it those dates are generally unfavorable.

This a great trip for family and friends, because the flying has to be over by 10am (+ breakdown & celebration).

PG pilots unfortunately can't fly in the park, but you can climb, hike, and enjoy the Yosemite experience.

I want to hear what everyone thinks.

Zippy
"To obtain a bird's eye [view], is to turn a blizzard to a breeze" Incubus
zippy

Re: SBSA Yosemite trip.

Postby zippy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 pm

The campground for the 4th of July weekend would be Bridalveil Falls CG.

I looked up the dates for the opening of Glacier Point road and Memorial Day weekend is likely, but not guarenteed.
zippy

Postby TrevorB » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:23 am

Since PGs aren't allowed (any plans in the future for that?), perhaps I'll have to get up the Dome again for the best seat in the house to see you guys take flight...

Launch is from Glacier Point if I'm not mistaken, which is visible just left of center frame on the first image.

Random side story; the morning (6am-ish) we were gearing up for our ascent, we witnessed a wingsuited BASE jumper take a ride from the summit of Half Dome and take a hard right turn to Tenaya Canyon to deploy. Apparently that's illegal. But looked like a hell of a lot of fun.

View from Big Sandy.JPG
View from Half Dome pitch 17, Glacier Point just left of center frame

Steve_thank_god.JPG
"Thank God Ledge" on Half Dome, Glacier Point top of frame

Kev_trev_10.JPG
My giant noggin blocking the view of launch
TrevorB

Postby JimmyZ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:25 am

I think July 4th weekend would be great if we can secure a campground. I know Memorial Day a posse of us head up to the Owens, either way... I want to get a flight at Yosemite this year!

Nice going Zac!
JimmyZ

Postby John Fritsche » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:46 pm

I've camped in a nice CG right off the road to Glacier Point. Less, I'm almost certain, than 1/2 hour drive to launch. I don't remember the name, but it's the only CG close to GP. Is the "Bridalveil CG" you speak of the same one? I think that camping in any CG other than the one I speak of would require an even earlier (significantly so) awakening, so as to get to launch early enough, to get airborne early enough, to satisfy the Yosemite protocol.
The CG I speak of is really nice with big sites but I don't know if it takes reservations or has group sites.
John Fritsche

Postby zippy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks John, we could look into that if you can figure out the name, maybe it is Bridalveil. The YHGA site monitor suggested this campground and has a good relationship with the rangers, though he says it's not 100% secured.

Unless there is some strong desire to go another weekend, I'm going to move ahead with 4th of July weekend.
zippy

Postby John Fritsche » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:02 am

OK, yeah, I investigated and Bridalveil Creek is the name of the campground I was referring to. It has a few reservable group sites, and a lot of non-reservable regular sites. You can reserve the group sites up to 5 months in advance, so it's a little too early to do so right now for the 4th of July. Good luck, JF
John Fritsche

Return to Events, Competitions, Meetings