NO longest/shortest flight contest this weekend

Club meetings, competitions, and event announcements.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Do you plan to fly in the Longest/Shortest Flight contest?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:21 pm

YES - I going to try to be there
100%
NO - Not my cup of tea
No votes

Total votes : 5

NO longest/shortest flight contest this weekend

Postby Ramey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:21 pm

Weather reports predict 20-50% chance Saturday and Sunday. Also, the Amgen Tour of California bicycle race will shut down some important roads for us. Hence, we've concluded that the longest/shortest flight contest will NOT be held this weekend.

There is a lot of interest in the contest. I had hoped/planned/expected about 40 participants. After John Scott's post and subsequent ripple effect I’m now considering the possibility that it might be quite a bit more. I made logistical plans for up to 60. I'm also expecting a number of pilots from outside Santa Barbara.
When the date announced, I’ll announce on the SB bulletin boards and on other ones that I know have posted the information.
Of course this is made extra difficult by the fact that no one will make a commitment to showing up until the morning of the contest – and then expect that everything will be well organized even though the organizers have been given absolutely no commitment about how many people will show up. Then there are the inevitable late comers. This is even more frustrating than planning the club Christmas party – and that’s pretty bad. But still, I’m accustomed to dealing with this and have planned for it.

So, two days before the contest, I’ll post to those places where it has been announced. In addition there will be some extra information for all pilots – especially out of town pilots.
a) You have to be a club member – Those who have not already done so are encouraged to bring their filled in membership for along with a check for $30. A copy of the membership form can be found at http://www.sbsa.info/SBSAMembershipForm.pdf . Those who live outside the area or for some reason can't support the club in this way can join the club for one day for $5 - just bring a bill.
b) Don't forget to bring your $15 contest entry fee. Please try to bring 3 x $5 bills we don't have big problem making change.
c) If any team member lands in the city other than at a few designated places including Parma Park, East Beach, or Ellings Park, the whole team is disqualified and their flights don’t count. And no, they won’t get their money back either.
d) Team captains will all be local pilots and will be expected to apprise all team members of local rules and customs. For example, HG pilots do not head out to the beach if they have less than 3 K at the antenna farm.
e) Tandem gliders with a passenger count as one pilot – That is one $15 entry and one share of the teams winnings. That is, for purposes of this contest, any passengers are considered just ballast.
f) Anyone who shows up after 9:30 isn’t guaranteed that he will be able to participate.
g) We’ll meet at Parma Park before and after the contest. This is situated in the middle of an area of high value homes and we have worked hard over the years to get along with the owners. Also, its possible that members of the local news media might make an appearance. So behavior which creates any kind of public nuisance can’t be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, whooping, hollering, public drunkenness, excessive debauchery and similar behavior.
h) We will have some support from the SBARC – Santa Barbara Amateur Radio Club. So when communicating on your 2 M Radio, observe normal radio protocol including occasional usage of your call sign.

There might be a couple more rule clarifications – you get the idea.

When I pull the trigger, I’ll also ask for anyone who plans to show up to send me an email. I know many people will not send me the email and show up anyway – but if I get a larger than expected number of responses, I’ll know that I have to take extra logistical plans. Also, anyone who sends me an email with the following information will be "pre-registered" and will save us time filling out the information. The information need is:
a) Pilot Name
b) Rating
c) Glider model and colors

Robert Ramey
Ramey

Return to Events, Competitions, Meetings