Longest Shortest Flight Contest!

Club meetings, competitions, and event announcements.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Longest Shortest Flight Contest!

Postby glbro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Leave your weekends open this month! We expect to host the third "Longest Shortest Flight Contest" in Santa Barbara one weekend day this month (date to be determined by weather outlook). Robert Ramey will be aviailing himself of expert weather prediction advise to guarantee good flying conditions for all. He will be administering the contest as well, and will be at the SBSA meeting tomorrow (Thurs. 2/7) to answer any questions about the rules. He is currently accepting nominations for team captains at Ramey@rrsd.com (people are free to nominate themselves). Last time we had 25 participants grinning from ear to ear for days afterwards, and we're hoping for 40 plus this year. The contest is open to current SBSA members, so please send in your membership w/o delay. (If you are not interested in joining the club at this time, but would like to participate, we have a one-day membership for $5.) This contest is a rare opportunity for HG and PG pilots to team up to win some big bucks!!!

Greg (a.k.a. Pokey)
glbro

Re: Longest Shortest Flight Contest!

Postby Skippy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:52 pm

Very cool... The last Longest/Shortest flight contest was a great time, and I am glad you're reviving it for this year. It was especially great to have PGs and HGs flying on the same tasks as teams.
I hope it's another great flying day!
Skippy
Skippy

Postby Ramey » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:14 pm

Now is the time to start boning up on the rules so you can have your questions ready at the meeting. I just love answering questions about the contest. These are posted at http://www.rrsd.com/sbsa/contest.html.

Robert Ramey
Ramey

Postby Dean S » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:33 am

If you are having trouble accessing the site that Robert is referring to, remove the period at the end of the address string.

or, just use this addy: http://www.rrsd.com/sbsa/contest.html
When in doubt...TOP OUT!
Dean S

Postby Southside » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:34 pm

If anyone is interested I've put together a little XC tutorial for flying to at least Piru. http://www.hanggliding.org/weblog_entry.php?e=253

Please keep in mind when you read it that I am a hang glider pilot.

It would be nice to get some input in the comment section. Unfortunately, you do have to register first at http://www.hanggliding.org

John
Southside

Postby Dean S » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Really nice work John. You obviously spent lots of time on it and you've got some great info.
When in doubt...TOP OUT!
Dean S

Postby JimmyZ » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Nice write-up John. I'll definately keep that one in my favorites. Would love to make that flight!!
JimmyZ

Postby Ramey » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:43 am

I've just talked to John on the phone and he has agreed to lend his well known skills at weather prediction to help me "pull the trigger" on the contest date. Even better, he has agreed to be a team captain if he can get permission to fly that day.

Thanks to the interest and participation of some of our highest profile pilots, this is shaping up to be a major event !!! DO NOT MISS THIS !!!

Robert Ramey
Ramey

Postby Ramey » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:08 pm

I just got word that Dean Stratton has offered to captain a team!!!

This will mean that at least several pilots will be fly under the wing of a world class PG pilot.

I'm still looking for more volunteers for team captains so I would be pleased to hear from anyone who feels comfortable in this company.

Robert Ramey
Ramey

Return to Events, Competitions, Meetings