SBSA Big Sur Spring camping/flying trip Oct. 18th - 20th

Club meetings, competitions, and event announcements.

Moderator: Moderation Team

SBSA Big Sur Spring camping/flying trip Oct. 18th - 20th

Postby sbkiter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Hello Pilots,

The Semi-annual SBSA Big Sur Fall Flying trip is coming up soon (Oct. 18th -20th) so dust off that camping gear and get ready to fly the scenic Big Sur coastline. We've planned it on a full moon weekend which always brings out the wild side around the campsite! Don't miss out!!

We will be doing a potluck on Saturday night so plan to prepare a little extra if you wish to participate.

We have two group campsites at the Plaskett Creek campgrounds. More details here.
http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDet ... rkId=70161

While there is plenty of room for camping and socializing....the parking is limited so please start working with friends or contact other pilots and carpool. There's an added cost incentive for this as well. It will be the same as last year, $25 per car for 2 nights or $15 per car for one night. Cheaper by the carload.

If you play an instrument, bring it for the nightly jam session.

Cheers,
-Jon Blake
SBSA President 2013
sbkiter

Re: SBSA Big Sur Spring camping/flying trip Oct. 18th - 20th

Postby Fast Eddy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:34 pm

So gang!!!

With our stupified Gov shut down. Has anyone called and check o. The status of our camp out???
Like is it a open camp ground?? Y/N
Do we still have access to the hill through gates if there still there? Y/N

Just a thought. For if it got closed. I am wondering When would it reopen?

Fast Eddy
Contact
You should all have it
Fast Eddy

Postby sbkiter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi Fast Eddy,
The campground closed this past Tuesday at 1pm. It is run on contract by http://www.campone.com/
We are still planning to go and hopefully the campground will re-open before the 18th. If not, we will try to camp on launch if we can confirm that the road will be accessible to get there (still working on finding out). We are monitoring it and will continue to update as we get closer to the 18th or whenever we have news to report.
Thanks,
-Jon
sbkiter

Postby sbkiter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Big Sur update.

Here's what I know and the current plan.

1. Our government leadership is lame.
2. Plaskett Creek Campground is currently closed.
3. All the information for the Big Sur area is provided from the Los Padres National Forest offices which are closed. Recordings indicate that ranger stations in Big Sur are closed and no rangers are on duty up there.
4. As far as I can tell the road to Wild Cattle launch, South Ridge Road, is open. This link shows it open but was last updated Oct 1st. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/aler ... rdb5347980
I'm not aware of a gate or a reason they would have closed this road but if anyone knows differently please speak up.
5. If you plan to go there are no facilities on launch so we must prepare and camp accordingly. We want to keep a good reputation for our club so we must plan to pack out what we pack in. No trash left behind! If it's crowded there are several spots up around launch to camp. There are no fires allowed but it is a full moon weekend.
6. Directions coming from South. Head North on highway 1 you will pass Plaskett Creek and Sand Dollar, several miles later you will take a right turn on Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd. Follow this to the top and make a right turn on the dirt road known as South Ridge Rd. This link is zoomed in on launch, just zoom out and follow the road https://www.google.com/maps?ll=35.97132 ... 2&t=h&z=19
7. I will continue to monitor http://campone.com/ if anything changes with Plaskett Creek campground prior to Friday I will send out an update. We still have the group sites if it does re-open in the next few days.
sbkiter

Postby sbkiter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:41 pm

As of right now there's a very good chance the campground will be open for the weekend. If they do open they will honor our reservations. I'm waiting for the official word and will send out and update.
sbkiter

Postby sbkiter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:04 pm

I got an email from Gina at Campone (they run Plaskett Creek) and she said they should be open starting tomorrow.
sbkiter

Postby sbkiter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:32 am

Plaskett Creek Campground is open!
sbkiter

Return to Events, Competitions, Meetings