SBSA Club meeting Thursday September 1st

Club meetings, competitions, and event announcements.

Moderator: Moderation Team

SBSA Club meeting Thursday September 1st

Postby Tyrone » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:32 pm

Club meeting this Thursday at Rusty's at 7pm.

We will have a computer and projector there to share videos of recent flights. If you havent paid your 2011 dues, you can still pay! We are getting towards the end of the year and you are running out of time!

If you dont know if you have paid dues yet, you can see a list of people that have, and haven't paid here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html

You can pay with paypal here:
http://sbsa.info/

Ty Sporrer
2010 SBSA Club Prez
Tyrone

Re: SBSA Club meeting Thursday September 1st

Postby Robb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:11 pm

When I saw that comment about a list of people who hadn't paid their dues, I thought that would be like leaving the house with holes in your socks and dirty underwear! You just wouldn't do it; what if you got in an accident and someone found out???

Then I looked at that list. Wow. Quite a cross section of our local flying community has holes in their socks...
Cell: 805-990-5598
RaeLynn: 805-908-5162
Robb

Postby andy dainsberg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:09 pm

`
Last edited by andy dainsberg on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello Skyway
andy dainsberg

Postby Tyrone » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:10 am

Hey Andy, you are entitled to your opinion on showing the list of unpaid members. Sorry for forgetting to mark you as paid. shame on me :) Lack of communication between Bob A and I as he is the one that deposits the checks, and i am the one that updates the list. Most people pay with Paypal and I receive an email anytime that happens so i can keep the list up to date.

To anyone interested...
The Club was pretty deep in the red at the end of last year. I think it was about $500 in the red. The only reason we were this far in the red was that we had the lowest level of membership dues paid in the last 5 or 6 years....by far. Income was about 1/2 of what it was in years past.

We quite possible have the lowest annual dues of any club around. Crestline is about $100 a year. Ours is only $35! $35 dollars is a ridiculously low amount to pay to be able to fly all the sites that our club insures for one year.

This year, after setting up the paypal option, our club has recovered financially and we're doing OK. Thanks to all who have paid their dues!!!
Tyrone

Postby andy dainsberg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:46 am

perhaps the ends do justify the means and i am willing to be wrong for the good of our flying sites!... being at the top of the freeloader list wasn't nice but then i thought: maybe other people listed aren't really around or are in bad financial shape or also had paid already, etc... smacking this group just feels wrong to me but its not unusual for me to be alone in a minority opinion. honestly, from someone that doesn't do clubs very well At All, i appreciate that you guys try hard to get funding even if i don't completely agree with your method.
Hello Skyway
andy dainsberg

Postby BobA » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Sorry Andy and anyone else out there that is current and not showing so, now or in the future. Don't take it personally. I've been buried. Send me and Ty an email. Anyone wanna be Treasurer :) ? We do have bills, chapter member lists to report, and sites to insure. We are motivated by our interest to keep our sites insured and open... 8)
The sky is calling.
BobA

Postby Ramey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Add me to the list of people who has a canceled check (dated 1 25 jan 2011) but and on the list.

Well, I have to plead guilty to pioneering the shaming tactic to get people to pay up. I used it to good effect to extract pledges and get them collected for the Pine Mountain North launch expenses. This a lot more than anticipated but people came through knowing that almost everyone was going to be on board.

BUT this tactic will backfire if it's not well executed - as it seems to have done in this case.

I not really too upset about this as shaming doesn't really affect me in any case. But one thing really DOES annoy me. I got kicked off the flying list for question the judgement of Tom Truax when he skimmed over the Riviera to land at the junior high school. Getting kicked off the list wasn't so bad - it's typical behavior of those who run the list when they don't like this or that post. But I should say I was really disappointed that no one in the club objected to my being kicked off. Is this the club list or what? For better or worse, it IS the club list. But someone might want to explain why I should pay $30/year to a club which inhibits my participation.

Robert Ramey
Ramey

Postby Chris G » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:59 am

Just to clarify, as far as I know this is not the club list, and is not funded by the SBSA club. Truax foots the bill for the hosting space and domain. There was some talk not long ago about changing that in order to compensate Truax, but I'm not sure what the final verdict was.
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby andy dainsberg » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:01 pm

i have no life at all chatting up this thread! the publicly posted unpaid list for SBSA club dues is unfair even tho it may work best. for example: i know active local pilots that are not on either the paid list or the unpaid list. in my vulcan world of logic, this means those that are listed are being held to a unjustifyably higher standard than others. if club cannot list all of us on one or the other list(i'm not saying it can), then posting an unpaid list of names is unfair regardless of whether shaming our friends is necessary. a club that lists unpaid people holds itself to a high standard because they are publicly calling people freeloaders whether or not that is the intent and whether or not the unpaid are in town, have already paid or can even afford to pay. a club has to execute such public listings extremely well and in this case it has not because some pilots are not listed at all, others have already paid, etc etc! so whatever; its not logical, its unfair and its lame but it works great! at least the club entitles me to an opinion on its fund-driving! i suggest just listing the PAID. live long and prosper! :twisted:
Hello Skyway
andy dainsberg

Return to Events, Competitions, Meetings