So Cal Race and Rally

Club meetings, competitions, and event announcements.

Moderator: Moderation Team

So Cal Race and Rally

Postby Southside » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:33 pm

With the Flytec Race and Rally being held in Florida this spring I thought it would fun to run a version of it here. There will be no entry fees and pilots fly on their own schedules. There will be 4 starting points: Santa Barbara; Kagel; Blackhawk; and Pine. If you look at the attached image of my flights from last year you will see that there are gaps between the tracklogs; that is going to be the basis for scoring. Pilots that have the shortest gap distance in total will have the highest score.

The Santa Barbara leg will be measured to the Kagel LZ. The Kagel leg will be measured to the Blackhawk launch. The next gap measured is the distance between a pilots landing spot from Blackhawk (no further than the Pine launch) and the furthest eastern point on an out and return from Pine. Finally, the Pine out and return flight will continue on to Santa Barbara with goal being the beach for hang 4s and Parma for everyone else.

Since pilots are flying on their own schedule they are allowed more than one attempt at each leg. Also, pilots will be allowed to fly in any order that they would like. Having said that, seasonal weather conditions almost dictate that the flights be done in the order listed.

Just a couple side notes:

I chose Blackhawk over Crestline because, (1) the flight from Kagel isn't all that challenging -- I want to stretch out the field a bit, and (2) going over the back from there for a flight toward I 5 can be problematic due to the inversion.

And just to be clear -- If a pilot makes it all the way to Pine on his/her flight from Blackhawk, then all they have to do on the Pine leg is to get up at launch and fly out to the beach. Along the same lines, a pilot can make up for a shorter flight from Blackhawk by knocking off a long out and return from Pine.

The contest will have two categories, hang gliding (RW included) and paragliding.

If you are interested in participating please email me at brettonwoods@verizon.net

John
Attachments
race and rally.jpg
Southside

Re: So Cal Race and Rally

Postby Dizzy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:30 pm

I like your idea and will participate. However, I have one suggestion to allow starts from Marshall/Crestline. Of course, distance from there will be less (-26 miles), but at least its better then zero. I was 3 times on Blackhawk and have zero flights from there, but from Marshall I have a successful flight beyond Palmdale.
Dizzy

Re: So Cal Race and Rally

Postby Southside » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:36 pm

For you, Dizzy, I'll change the Blackhawk goal and launch to Crestline -- but only for the paragliders.

John
Southside

Return to Events, Competitions, Meetings