SO CAL XC League meet Dec. 6-7

Club meetings, competitions, and event announcements.

Moderator: Moderation Team

SO CAL XC League meet Dec. 6-7

Postby Dean S » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:20 pm

As to the meet this weekend. Some sites are easy to predict whether the conditions will be good for flying, Santa Barbara is typically not one of them. I think when it comes to Santa Barbara, it is better for everyone if I make the call for the weekend on Friday night as opposed to Thursday; which I’ve done up until now. I know it doesn’t give everyone much lead time, but I think its best. If the conditions are obviously good enough to call the meet on Thursday I will, but I think the norm will be to call the event in SB on Friday instead. For those of you traveling from more than a few hours away that want to drive up early Friday night, call me tomorrow afternoon and I’ll give you the best prediction I can. For the rest of you, I’ll post meet details by early evening on the SCPA/SBSA board, on the league website, and send out the usual email to everyone.

So, I’ll update you all tomorrow night. As of right now the conditions look okay, but the cut-off low that is spinning off the coast needs another look-see tomorrow.

I also want to give you a heads up on a party that is planned for the league participants; provided we hold the meet this weekend. Both local clubs, the SBSA and the SCPA, and myself, are contributing funds to sponsor a party this Saturday evening. I will give the time and location out at the 9 a.m. meeting this Saturday.

Dean
http://www.usxcleague.com
When in doubt...TOP OUT!
Dean S

SO CAL XC League meet Dec. 6-7 - It's on!

Postby Dean S » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:38 pm

The league meet is a go for this weekend. Mandatory pilot briefing and pilot check-in will be held at “The-T” at 9 a.m., which will be our primary LZ for the meet. “The-T” is a waypoint if you’d like to use your GPS to get there, or refer to the driving directions below. Most likely the task for the day will be called during the pilot briefing at “The-T” allowing all pilots to launch wherever they choose; Alternator or Skyport. I’ll announce location and time of the Sat. night league party tomorrow morning at the pilot briefing.

Once again - Mandatory pilot briefing is at 9 a.m. at “The-T”

Directions to “The-T”:
Hwy 101 to Hwy 154 (San Marcos Pass)
North on Hwy 154 for ½ mile to Foothill exit
West (left) on Foothill – under overpass – continue a few hundred yards to Via Chaparral
North (right) on Via Chaparral - up ¼ mile to first right that takes you back over Hwy 154
Once over Hwy 154 look to your left and you’ll see the cars.

Last minute reminders:
1) Bring the cable for your GPS.
2) Check NOTAMS before you drive out just to make sure you’re not making a trip for nothing. http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html
3) Bring your current USHPA ID.
4) Print and bring color map with waypoints, and large color map. Both are on the DOWNLOAD page of the website.
5) Make sure you’ve downloaded the most current waypoint file which was updated on 11/13.
6) Bring fresh batteries and make sure your radio is charged.

Game On!
Dean-O
When in doubt...TOP OUT!
Dean S

Return to Events, Competitions, Meetings