SO CAL XC LEAGUE MEET NOV. 22-23

Club meetings, competitions, and event announcements.

Moderator: Moderation Team

SO CAL XC LEAGUE MEET NOV. 22-23

Postby Dean S » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:07 pm

The league meet is a go for this weekend. Saturday looks promising at the moment – Sunday is a toss up. Mandatory pilot briefing and pilot check-in will be held at “The-T” at 9 a.m. on Saturday, which will be our primary LZ for the meet. “The-T” is a waypoint if you’d like to use your GPS to get there, or refer to the driving directions below. Most likely the task for the day will be called during the pilot briefing at “The-T” allowing all pilots to launch wherever they choose; Alternator or Skyport. If you are going to participate but haven't sent me your registration yet, please download ithe reg form off the league website and send it to me by Friday night. The reg form and other league info can be found here: http://www.usxcleague.com/download/download.html

I will be holding a short GPS class at 8 a.m. sharp at “The-T” for anyone that needs a little help setting up their GPS. Please be somewhat familiar with your GPS before you show up so we can get through the class smoothly. Bring some kind of chair with you for the class, you’ll need it.

Please check the NEWS page on the website Friday night to make absolutely sure the meet is still on. Santa Barbara can be a little fickle, so I’ll be checking the weather one more time tomorrow night just to make sure.

Directions to “The-T”:
Hwy 101 to Hwy 154 (San Marcos Pass)
North on Hwy 154 for ½ mile to Foothill exit
West (left) on Foothill – under overpass – continue a few hundred yards to Via Chaparral
North (right) on Via Chaparral - up ¼ mile to first right that takes you back over Hwy 154
Once over Hwy 154 look to your left and you’ll see the cars.

Last minute reminders:
1) Bring the cable for your GPS.
2) Check NOTAMS before you drive out just to make sure you’re not making a trip for nothing. http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html
3) Bring your current USHPA ID.
4) Print and bring color map with waypoints, and large color map. Both are on the DOWNLOAD page of the website.
5) Make sure you’ve downloaded the most current waypoint file which was updated on 11/13.
6) Bring fresh batteries and make sure your radio is charged.
7) If you’re attending the GPS workshop, bring pen and paper.
8) Bring Depenz if you need them!

Mandatory pilot briefing is at 9 a.m. at “The-T”
GPS workshop is at 8 a.m. at “The-T”

Saddle up!
Dean Stratton
When in doubt...TOP OUT!
Dean S

Re: SO CAL XC LEAGUE MEET NOV. 22-23

Postby Dean S » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:17 pm

For Sunday, the forecast is calling for a marine layer to form overnight. Whether we are able to call a task tomorrow depends largely on how thick the forecasted marine layer will be. If it is light, then it will burn off by late morning and we'll have a good chance of getting another task in. If the layer is thick as peanut butter, then break out the jelly and make a big sandwich because it's unlikely we'll get to fly. I propose we meet at the T at 9 a.m. and make the call there.

See you in the a.m.

Dean
When in doubt...TOP OUT!
Dean S

Postby 3lbsandnwing » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Gang.
If anyone happened to find a bright green ipod shuffel with earphones on launch or landing, please give to Rob at Eagle and he will get it to me. Thanks heaps.. Just bought it...dooohhh... I was the first guy test dummy launching with the seeing eye dog and had a blast flying with this whacky gaggle up there. Good time.
PS... Awful music mix on the shuffle will ruin your flying ability though your polka may improve.
3lbsandnwing

Postby 3lbsandnwing » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:39 am

Found it...in vent in wing...With sand...
Thanks anyway and good dangling to all. Have a great GobblerDay..
3lbsandnwing

Return to Events, Competitions, Meetings