The Last Great Flying Dinosaurs

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

The Last Great Flying Dinosaurs

Postby Tony de Groot » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:22 pm

There are great pilots in our midst that fly so consistently, fly so far, and fly so effortlessly that we take them for granted. The wings they fly are so perfected and the pilot’s skill so great that their regular unbelievable flights are no more noticed than a Kmart special of baked beans. A pilot flies 110 miles and nary a post. Another files for 207 miles and it is not talked about. Not many give it a second thought. Of course they flew so far. They always do. Yet, how incredible, how difficult and how rare it is for the rest of us to fly so far even one time?
They are like the last great flying dinosaurs. They are only occasionally seen as they glide on by because they are so fast, so stealth and so graceful and just as quickly out of sight. These dinosaurs are not very good egg layers. One visit to the birthing center (training hill) will show no replacements are coming. Their wings are heavy, and not easy to land in small spaces. They are being replaced with more flexible, more adaptable, and more easily ported wings. Yet, one can not ignore the amazing grace, the undeniable speed, and the endless glide that these great birds have.
One day perhaps, their skill, their wings, their desire and drive will be remembered and spoken about and maybe not. We are all busy with our own lives and our own experiences to give much notice. How do we relate to such flights, so consistently and effortlessly achieved? We can’t.
And one day, it will all be over. Their wings will be closed up for the last time. Their replacements not forthcoming. They are in many ways like the last great flying dinosaurs. They are only there for a moment in time and then they will be gone. Take a moment to realize their skill, realize who they were, and watch them glide away. You still have some time. One of these days they will fly away for the last time and then they will be gone forever. It will be the last time, the last moment, and the last flight of the great flying dinosaurs.
Tiger
Tony de Groot

Re: The Last Great Flying Dinosaurs

Postby BobA » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:39 pm

Well, I do not entirely agree with you Tiger :) ...I'm sure some posts will be forthcoming. There is lots to this story, only these guys are just starting to function again after all night retrieve - I talked to Hammer late on Saturday night (10:11 PM) while they were digging the still stuck car out of the sand - later using towels and jeans under the wheels to get traction...Here is Diablo's phone text to me:

"Yo dog check it out 208 miles in 4 and One half hours from pine yesterday max altitude 15300 landing 20 miles east 29 palms"

Cloudbase at Pine was at 15 grand yesterday. Southside called it again. And this is a new record XC distance from Pine Mtn. Is it the fastest 200 miler ever ?
The sky is calling.
BobA

Re: The Last Great Flying Dinosaurs

Postby Simon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:53 am

As a young and upcoming pilot, I am looking forward to taking on the challenges that lay ahead of me. But to say that their replacements are not forthcoming is pretty pessimistic, consider me your little ray of sunshine. Congratulations to those flying dinosaurs for setting new records.
Simon

Return to General