Point Sal

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Point Sal

Postby Kevin Dumain » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:40 pm

I was looking for info on the fire when I ran across this item regarding Pt Sal access from the Santa Maria Times. Maybe we'll be able to fly there before the end of this year. In the meantime, it appears to be officially off limits.

"Air Force officials say they are poised to present a compromise plan to allow people access to county land adjacent to Point Sal State Beach, months after the military began citing hikers for trespassing on Vandenberg AFB property along the rugged route to the coastline.

Col. Ben Huff, 30th Mission Support Group commander, said base officials expect to meet with Santa Barbara County representatives to unveil the proposal, but he would give no details.

“The bottom line is, we're working toward that long-term solution we believe they're going to like; it's going to allow public access ... ,” Huff said. “I think we've got something very positive on the way. I'm excited about it.”

Col. Steve Tanous, 30th Space Wing commander, will meet with county supervisors to explain the proposal in the coming weeks, Huff said.

Heavy rains in 1998 washed away the county road that leads to Point Sal. Since then, people have hiked and ridden bikes to reach the beach. Earlier this year, however, the Air Force installed orange barricades and signs, and began issuing trespassing citations.

Huff remained mum about the specifics of what military officials consider a “mutually agreeable solution,” saying officials still had to work out details.

“However, I can tell you we are looking for a long-term solution that allows public access to Santa Barbara County property that goes through Vandenberg Air Force Base property,” Huff said.

Advertisement

Two North County supervisors would only say that they've heard the military will present a long-term solution to allow access, and that they're awaiting further details.

While 4th District Supervisor Joni Gray's district includes the northern tip of Vandenberg, 3rd District Supervisor Brooks Firestone represents the bulk of the 99,400-acre base.

“I'm very optimistic we're going to get a good solution,” said Firestone, who envisions Point Sal becoming a walking destination similar to the Grand Canyon - where a rigorous hike is rewarded with an incredible view.

The county road to Point Sal State Beach was accessible off Brown Road, but several miles ran through base property. El Niño rains in 1998 severely washed away segments of the road, making it impassable to automobiles.

Technically, Point Sal Beach Road doesn't exist any more, Huff said.

“It has slid down the hillside, if you will. What remains for a significant portion of it is a foot path. That foot path is extremely treacherous in many places,” Huff said. “Safety to anyone on this installation, including the public, is extremely important to us.”

Base officials said concerns about safety and security prompted the new measures. The Air Force began talking openly about the enforcement measures in April, but had been issuing citations for months before that.

Trespassers receive citations and a date to appear in a federal magistrate court. Those who have already appeared in court received sentences to perform community service, Huff said.

July 28, 2007"
Kevin Dumain
Kevin Dumain

Return to General