Time to renew my Ham License...May 11th

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Time to renew my Ham License...May 11th

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Hard to believe I let my 10 year Ham license expire, and then miss the two year window for renewal by another year, but it is true. I've been studying online for a week or so now, and expect to be at maximum test taking capacity by the 2nd Saturday in May, the 11th. The local SB Ham radio club does examinations, and I sorely miss my Technition Class and want to get back in the fold. If anyone else is interested, the test is coming up, (there will be others) but it would be great to get more pilots signed off for all the best reasons.

Anyhooz, by posting this I hope to encourage others to get cracking online or buy the study guide book, but really I am forcing myself not to put it off for another 2 months! I ponied up and got an online test prep site and it tracks my progress, repeats questions I get wrong and guarantees that I will pass or my money back! It is here:
http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/?gclid=CKPpjPr81LUCFWhyQgodmG4A3w

Of course you can practice online for free and even take practice tests...but I thought I would go for it.

I remember Bob A. rounding up folks a while back, unfortunately I wasn't one of them. Here's the info for the local SB ham club:
http://www.sbarc.org/education/vesessions.html

8am-12noon on Saturday the 11 of May. Hope it stays soarable for when I get out of the test so I can go fly while in town!

Cheers,

Marty
"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we are all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze."

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Re: Time to renew my Ham License...May 11th

Postby Rich » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 am

Good for you, Marty!
There is (in my opinion) way too much use of the 2 meter with nary a call sign being uttered. If one knows the rules, that's wrong, in and of itself. If we use the 2 meter band, we agree to become a licensed operator- it is the law. How many of our local instructors have a HAM license? Hopefully all, because they sure use it in the mountains- and no, I'm not addressing the walkie-talkies on the training hill which operate on another radio frequency.

KI6QIX
Rich

Re: Time to renew my Ham License...May 11th

Postby DeVietti_Marty » Sat May 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Well it cost me a little time studying, and a day of flying at Chiefs with the crew (I knew it would be good on the day of the test) but at least I passed my technician test this morning!

Tomorrow is looking REALLY good, so I may get the word from Southside or anyone else interested in Mt. Abel or Chiefs for the fourth day in a row?

Come on guys, if I can pass, you can pass too!

Cheers,

Marty
"I don't know if we each have a destiny or if we are all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze."

-Forrest Gump
DeVietti_Marty

Return to General