Name Change

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Name Change

Postby Southside » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:15 am

Andy Dainsberg from another thread:

"this point (referring to Bump 3 in Ojai) seems to always work like a champ. the whole section from the river to whitelege is really fun, imo. i wish this point had a more royal name. maybe diablo or sd?"

I've always thought that.

Since Tony's main thing is long distance desert flying and doesn't care all that much about flying the front range, I vote that we name it after Tom.

If we call it Sundowner everyone will know who we are referencing...now. But what about future generations?
Truax Point or Truax Peak or Truax Bench are acceptable, but none really have a nice ring to them.

Personally, I like The Axman or Axman Point.

Any thoughts?
Southside

Re: Name Change

Postby andy dainsberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:27 am

Traditionally, a tribal ceremony (w/sacrifice) on the edge of the Topa Topa Bluffs is required for a name change~ but maybe just this once we can skip it… :wink:

I second the change to The Axman, - that’s a unique one, John, I like it.

Sorry Tom, La Cumbre Peak is taken, but only xc pilots would ever need mention the Axman; giving it the extra style points you deserve.

Hopefully, others agree ~
Hello Skyway
andy dainsberg

Postby Southside » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:57 am

Thinking that The Axman might be a bit unwieldy, I came up with another one : TNT. It's short and sweet and has two meanings. The Ts of course are Tom's initials, but as we all know, Bump 3 is always booming...get it? Bump 3 is always booming...har har.
Southside

Postby NMERider » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 pm

removed by author
Last edited by NMERider on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
NMERider

Postby andy dainsberg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:54 am

Ok, then I vote for “SDP” (Sundowner Point). Generations down the road, if someone asks about it, they get a lesson-as in: “why is it called the RR?” SD pioneered the nearby nuthouse launch, has been over the point more than most, etc... I like SDP, but will go with consensus if fellow pilots care to form one…
Hello Skyway
andy dainsberg

Postby Dizzy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 pm

Actually, why RR is called RR? :D
Dizzy

Clarification

Postby sd » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:02 am

Dizzy wrote:Actually, why RR is called RR? :D

RnR stands for Robert’s Roost, as in Robert Millington, The Hammer.

Southside wrote:I came up with another one : TNT. It's short and sweet and has two meanings... as we all know, Bump 3 is always booming...

My 8 year old daughter’s initials are TNT for Tess Nicole. Trinitrotoluene, C6H2(NO2)3CH3, aka Dynamite, is arguably a docile description for the demeanor of the redheads in my house.

I guess we weren’t too colorful when we named the points Spine One to the east and Bump 1, 2, and 3 to the west, but at least The Pyramid is descriptive. I have to agree with everyone’s observation that Bump 3 is very dependable, but also cyclic, and you need to be alert for the sharp vertical sheer.
The next points westbound from Bump 3 are the Back Step, then the High Step half way to White Ledge. I usually stay in the back drifting westbound, fishing for convergence, but use the front points running eastbound.
sd

Postby DBLD » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:39 pm

RnR stands for Robert’s Roost, as in Robert Millington, The Hammer.

you might want to fact check that. when i first started flying here in '93 i thought the same, but the "hammer" said no. it was named for someone else. possibly another past famous local pilot.

dd
There's no time like airtime and no place like cloudbase!
DBLD

Postby DBLD » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:15 pm

my bad... just talked to "hammer" about the name. it WAS named robert's roost by richard atkins for robert "hammer" millington. richard atkins also named the thermal factory. hammer gave the name to west bowl and no name. even recent history can be confusing. once again my apologies, but when i asked long ago he denied the moniker because of the unassuming person that he is. it will always be "Robert's Roost" even though he wants a name change.
dd
There's no time like airtime and no place like cloudbase!
DBLD

Postby andy dainsberg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 pm

I support the online re-naming of the somewhat obscure but wonderfully productive bump 3 in honor of the trailblazer sd. But, apparently, its time to tribe up and perform the traditional ceremony on the bluffs instead. u can bring your peace pipe, but if you’re looking around wondering who the sacrifice is; … …
Hello Skyway
andy dainsberg

Return to General