Anyone use a 4flight Iguana or Skin helmet?

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Anyone use a 4flight Iguana or Skin helmet?

Postby zippy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:23 pm

I curious what you think of it. With the new EN 966 requirement for Cat 1 comps, I may need a new helmet.

I'd love to try one on before I order to check sizing and fit.

Thanks,
Zac
"To obtain a bird's eye [view], is to turn a blizzard to a breeze" Incubus
zippy

Re: Anyone use a 4flight Iguana or Skin helmet?

Postby oj » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:31 am

I'm not a fan of Icaro line of helmets, iirc Dan Keyser was wearing one the day he had his accident. To make matters worse, the Iguana/Skin helmets are listed as "bargain end helmets" on the Icaro website. Great.

Here are a couple of quotes I've taken from their website concerning them:

"Iguana, the exclusive Italian fashion, but...

You have to handle this helmet with great care.

If you put the helmet in your bakpack, don't sit on it
Hold the helmet on the chin strap, not at the adjustable wheel
Don't fold the ear protectors; handle the visor with care."

and:

"Our helmets were designed and built specifically to be as light as possible. However they optimize safety for hang glider and paraglider pilots, as shown by the information above. "

As if that weren't bad enough, they make these shells as "one-size-fits-all." The correct fit is achieved by turning an adjustment wheel that tightens a band around your head. Where have I seen that before?

That's the exact same thing that's used in welding helmets! Image

These are probably suitable for stumbling around in a drunken stupor, but not flying.
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.- J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
oj

Postby Fast Eddy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Hey Zippy

Here is the one that is very Simalar to what Bruce Barkmakian and a lot of the guys were using back in the day.

http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Helme ... et/Jet.htm

Or is little lighter and less expensive Yet still has the same IMPACT 966 rating chart but to what extent I do not know

http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Helme ... rid-LT.htm

Most of then had the Ones without the Full face feature and just the visor. so there you go.

Fast EDDY
Contact
You should all have it
Fast Eddy

Postby Chris G » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm with OJ on this. These things are scary light. Dan didn't fall far and after witnessing the aftermath I wouldn't touch it.
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby zippy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:40 pm

I've read the full discussions on hg.org, pg.org & ozreport forum about helmets. Truth is, I'm probably not nearly as concerned as I should be. Trust me I'm not recommending helmets like this to anyone else, especially students.

I'm currently flying with a Lubin Aero. It's 330grams! (I understand that it offers little protection) The idea of nearly tripling that is daunting. I just flew 35 hours in one comp.

The Icaro Jet LT is one I'm interested in, but aside from heavy and expensive, I can't find one to try on.

Thank you, I didn't realize that the Iguana had the twist adjustment, that is pretty ridiculous.

I wish that CIVL would have allowed for other comparable or better certifications for helmets. Is it stands, I need a helmet that is EN 966.

Since I'm a comp pilot, obviously there's nothing in there to protect ;)

Thanks guys!
"To obtain a bird's eye [view], is to turn a blizzard to a breeze" Incubus
zippy

Postby John Fritsche » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:47 pm

I have an Iguana. It's three or four years old. It's very light and comfortable and yes it uses a wheel-turning adjustment for precise fit, though I thought there are also small/medium/large versions of it. Anyway, I love the lightweight and unrestricted view and sound, but I do wonder about the level of protection it provides. It doesn't seem much stronger than a bike helmet. I don't know if it has a layer of fiberglass in it. I hope so. I kind of consider it my helmet for days when I know I will almost certainly be landing into the wind in a nice (not hard, rocky) LZ...I also have a Charly Insider full-face. Yes, I know that I should always use the Charly, but I don't like the feel of it and especially hate the reduced sound and visual field.
John Fritsche

Postby Chris G » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:07 pm

The EN 966 standard, which from what I understand is self regulated, is about the same standard as a childs bike helmet.
Chris G
Site Admin

Return to General