Harriet Miller - Santa Barbara Mayor has died

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Harriet Miller - Santa Barbara Mayor has died

Postby Ramey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:49 am

Harriet Miller - Santa Barbara Mayor during the 1990 died the other day.

The reason I mention this here is for the benefit of those who might not have been pilots at that time.

During her tenure, the skyport was constructed. This was controversial at the time are resulted in a fencing being place across the whole gibralter launch. The city council held a hearing at which 400 persons related to the flying community appeared to advocate for the cities support of this activity. The hearing was notable for Ms. no nonsense and efficient style as well as the disciplined and organized advocacy of the attendant public. The meeting resulted in the fence being taken down. It galvanized the club to a higher level of organization which has served us well.

Also, work by John Grenald and Glenn Miller resulted in the city giving it's blessing to our landing on East Beach. I don't believe this would have been accomplished but for her vision for city and the people who live here.

Harriet Miler - RIP

Robert Ramey
Ramey

Re: Harriet Miller - Santa Barbara Mayor has died

Postby Lew Riffle » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 pm

My thoughts about her are pretty much the same to. A civil person in a very great respect. We were lucky to have her around at the time because she took the time to understand the situation and worked the remedies beyond just taking fences down. LEW
Lew Riffle

Return to General