Skyport Repairs

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Skyport Repairs

Postby Robb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Hey everyone!
This Saturday we will be working at Skyport to repair damage from the fire. OJ has come up with a plan to get 40 railroad ties to launch Saturday morning. We need lots of help to get the old and damaged pieces removed, and the new ones in place. We need big, burly helpers like Kabir and Heidi to help move timbers, quick and nimble helpers like Dean and Bob to help make sure things are level and square, and at least two people with the hands of surgens to run the drill and chain saw. And speaking of surgens, if all you can do is administer first aid, you too will have a chance to be a hero this Saturday!

Seriously, even if you have a slipped disc and a bum knee, come and bring cookies, hand out ham sandwiches, or be the one who drives back to the hardware store for that one thing we forgot. We all use the Skyport, and it needs your help!

Photo by Jim Maddox, who will demonstrate snapping railroad ties in two using just his big toe!
Last edited by Robb on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: make announcemnet
Cell: 805-990-5598
RaeLynn: 805-908-5162
Robb

Re: Skyport Repairs

Postby redfly » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:41 pm

hey robb,

that sounds like a noble plan! unfortunately i am traveling... flying to japan on friday.

i will be back end of august, hopefully just in time to do the final usability check of the refurbished take-off, before it will be handed over to the general public?! :D

cheers
jonas
Jonas
jonas at buchli dot org
redfly

Postby Robb » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:48 pm

Tomorrow is the big day - Skyport repairs start first thing in the am and will continue into the late afternoon.

OJ has 40 RR ties on his truck! We're planning to be at Parma at 8:45 to give rides up to Skyport, but you can come up anytime all day. We have tools, we need people! Just bring yourself, work gloves, water, sunscreen, and your wing if you want to fly down afterwards.

Don't let your slipped disc keep you from the fun! Tom "no left elbow" Pipkin and John "bad knees" Kloer have already used up the physical ailment excuses, and they are leading the work crew. Ron "broke back" Faoro tried the "I'm building a house" routine but was shut down and will be manning a saw all day making stairs. If you're uncomfortable tossing rail road ties around, we have jobs cutting, drilling, shoveling, handing out water, applying sunscreen, making wisecracks, and counting how many times Bob Anderson hits his thumb with a hammer.

So, bring yourself, bring ham sandwiches, or bring ice cream; just be there!
Cell: 805-990-5598
RaeLynn: 805-908-5162
Robb

Postby faoro » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Nineteen people (the leadership of the local paragliding community) showed up to repair Skyport early this morning. Major work was accomplished in six and one-half hours.

Photos of the day can be seen at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/faorotravel ... f-742RmwE#
faoro

Postby Tyrone » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:34 pm

Big props to all who contributed. Well done everyone. I was working at the training hill and was unable to have the privelage of taking part in the work with all of you great people. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Looking forward to enjoying Skyport with all of you as the season approaches!
Tyrone

Postby Kabir » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:16 am

THANK YOU!!!

Thanks you all!
I could not make it either... (work and all that)
But thanks to everyone that made this possible.

Yeah!
K
Kabir

Postby Bo Criss » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:03 am

THANK YOU to the 19 who worked so hard on our beloved Skyport. It looked like hard, sweaty, dirty work, but you all had great smiles in the pictures.

I had a couple of tandems from Alternator that day so I couldn't join you all. Roger and I cleared a bit of the Alternator launch, but I think I'll bring implements next time to clear out more. The prickly shrubs grew quickly since the fire.

During the flights, I experienced a bit more sink over the mountains and a bit more poppy immature lift over the LZ which gave way to a few extra turns before landing. The flight felt different. I was worried on the first flight I wouldn't make the LZ, then I hit substantial lift from the orchards to the LZ. It could have been the day, or the fact that it's summer, or... it's just different after the fire.
Bo Criss

Postby Lew Riffle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:18 am

Watch for rattlers! They love the small clumps of brush for shade on the Alternator Launch slope this time of year. LEW
Lew Riffle

Postby Parma Chris » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 am

I'm not sure if these are needed but if they are they are FREE

--------------
http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/zip/1342721741.html

Had been used for a retaining wall. There are approx 40 of them.
12" long and diameter of 6".
--------------

As of 8/27/09 am they are available.
Call Martha at 805 705-0208 if you want them.
"FlynSB"
My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/flynsb
My Picasa Pics --> http://picasaweb.google.com/FlynSB
Where I learned to FLY! --> http://eagleparagliding.com/
Parma Chris

Return to General