Introducing myself

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Introducing myself

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi all,

As I've just arrived in your region. I'll start with introducing myself.

My name is Eric and first of all : I have to precise that I'm not a native american-english speaker. (So don't worry if you don't understand what I'm writing/saying.. it comes from me :) )

So : I'm arrived in your nice and sunny region from France. I'm here for a couple of month now and I will stay in California 2 years, maybe 4, maybe more..
After my different installation's task, I'm finally ready to re-start my preferred flying activity (impatient to be honest).

I fly for 6 years now. Between 50 and 100 hours/year :
- a lot of coastal flight (I come from the Atlantic side of France.. not a lot of mountain.. a lot of winds),
- mountain/thermal flight as soon as possible (in Brittany the region I was living and French Alps too).
- few cross country (about 15 miles for my nicest one)

I've arrived with all my stuff and a complete NO-knowledge about US rule... (licensing ? assurance ? specific area rule ?)

About my stuff :
- I have my wing : a Nova Artax
- my radio (FM 2 meter class, 144-146 MHz ? Are you using same kind ?)
- my reserve (European Norm.. ?)
- my altimeter/variometer ( in "meter"... but I can try to put it in feet.. :) )

Now I'm waiting to meet you (all the local pilot), so you could try to explain to me everything.

I'm living in Ventura. I'm available on evening and week-end.

Give me a sign if you go somewhere on a flying site ? or in a pub ? Anyway I'll come.

Thanks you for reading me,
Eric.
Eric

Re: Introducing myself

Postby oj » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Welcome Eric. Don't worry about your spelling and grammar skills, from your first post it appears that you have an advantage over some of our locals and we already have a couple of pilots on this forum that speak French.

The two-meter radio is used here so you will have no problem with communication. The only time meters vs. feet might be an issue is if you and another pilot experience cloud suck and need to know where each other are, but the chances of that are remote since we never fly in the clouds. Since you are going to be here for a couple of years I suggest you join the national soaring association USHPA . http://www.ushpa.aero/membership.asp. Being a member will provide you with some liability insurance. As far as your rating is concerned, I will let Jonas (redfly) respond to that question since he also came from across the pond.

We have a couple of ridge sites in Santa Barbara that are somewhat sensitive for various reasons, so be sure you contact a local before flying anywhere. If you have a local cell phone number post it up. See you around, John.
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.- J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
oj

Postby redfly » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:28 am

bienvenu eric,

yes as OJ suggests a USHPA membership is really the first and most important thing (as it gives you 3rd party coverage and is needed on most sites).

do you have an IPPI card? if yes you don't really need to hurry with the US ratings and will be able to fly with it at the most places. i am here now almost 2 years and never had an issue with: USHPA membership, IPPI V and a swiss license.

hope this helps, let me know if you need more info: jonas at buchli dot org

cheers
jonas
Jonas
jonas at buchli dot org
redfly

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi John, Jonas, all

I've download the form from the USHPA web site and I will start with that.

About rating and IPPI card : unfortunately, I didn't think about that before leaving France and I've no active license in France for 2009. I've contacted my old club to see if they can do something for me but, what I've understood about the IPPI card on the french paragliding association is that I need to be currently licensed to be able to ask an IPPI...
My questions will be : what is exactly this rating we use here P1, P2, .., P453 ? What will I have to do to obtain this level/certification ?

If I've understood right. flying site are "rate" for a minimum level and pilot need to be "certified" for this particular rating ?

Eric.

PS : my cell phone : 818 292 0369
Eric

Postby pengoquin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Welcome Eric,

We can probably work out the P1 and P2 USHPA ratings by a day at Elings Park to obs skills and take the written tests. Give me a call at (805) 390-3308.

Best Regards
Bob Peloquin
pengoquin

Postby Robb » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Welcome to the states Eric!

I'd second Bob's suggestion; visit the training hill in Santa Barbara and meet the instructors. They'll be able to observe your skills and help guide you to sites that match your abilities, and coach you on techniques that may be necessary for some of our local sites. You'll feel better having met some locals and we'll feel better knowing you're not over your head. Here, the launches and LZ's are very different from what I saw in europe.

Be sure to load your cell phone with everyones number, get the low-down on where to meet, equipment to carry, who to get site intro's from, etc. Some of our best flying is from sites that are remote and can be very challanging; this requires skills, cell phone and radio, and lots of water in case you land out. The instructors can help you get ready for this type of flying if you are interested.

To really feel welcomed at the training hill, I suggest you bring some French bread, French pastery, French cheese, French wine, etc.!!

Robb
Cell: 805-990-5598
RaeLynn: 805-908-5162
Robb

Postby redfly » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:43 am

Robb wrote:Here, the launches and LZ's are very different from what I saw in europe.

indeed, i am missing the astroturf on launch and the bar in the LZ! ;)
Jonas
jonas at buchli dot org
redfly

Postby Robb » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:56 am

redfly wrote:
Robb wrote:Here, the launches and LZ's are very different from what I saw in europe.

Things are primitive here in the colonies!
Cell: 805-990-5598
RaeLynn: 805-908-5162
Robb

Postby pengoquin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:33 am

Robb wrote:
redfly wrote:

Things are primitive here in the colonies!

Trams to launch and those wonderful Beer Gardens at the LZ, Zell Am See! AND No rattle snakes
pengoquin

Postby Skippy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Salut Eric,
Bienvenu en Californie. Je suis aussi Bretonne, mais je fais du delta, pas de parapente. Mais je peux te donner des renseignements et comparer nos sites par rapport a ce que tu as du faire en Bretagne. Ou as-tu vole en Bretagne? Menez-hom? Ailleurs?
Tu peux m'appeler chez moi au 683-0810, ou portable 570-6566.
A plus,
Anne-Odile (aka Skippy)
Skippy

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi all,

I'll go to the training hill tomorrow. Maybe we'll meet there.

Bye,
Eric.

PS : sorry I've already eaten all my french bread, french pastery, french cheese, french wine, ... I had from France..
Eric

Return to General