speedflying info

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

speedflying info

Postby gary begley » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:39 am

gary begley

Re: speedflying info

Postby c_caff » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:19 am

I'm a brand new P2 (last week) so this is a bit premature, but I can't wait to start speed flying. The ozone speed flying videos are what really peaked my interest in paragliding in general.

Look forward to meeting you.
c_caff

Postby DBLD » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Hey c-caff. Don't know who you are, but imho speedgliding is a p4 activity. I'm a h4/p4 and would not even think about speed gliding like they do in the videos without mucho hours on the training hill with the intended wing. I have kited a speed wing at the training hill in moderate conditions. Because the wing is so small it is [i]really[i] easy to kite, but I chose not to launch because 1) there was not enough pressure on the wing to feel like I could fly and 2) I did not want to run down the hill and faceplant. That led me to the opinion that those things need one of three things to launch, high wind, steep slope, or fast feet. I'm a very conservative pilot contrary to my past history and rep. So my advice is get your p4 and be patient.

BTW This is all coming from someone that didn't have the balls to launch one at the training hill so it probably doesn't count. :lol:
There's no time like airtime and no place like cloudbase!
DBLD

Postby gary begley » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:48 am

Do things always have to come to balls and the penis.Can't we just fly? :lol:

DBLD, thanks for sharing your point of view. I am not sure that you have been doing your homework on speedflying, I can give you the quiz later. There are free clinics available with the hood speedflying school. you should come and try it.

As for the training hill for speedflying, it is pointless to do more than kiting a speedwing there. You can take some flights off with a larger speedflying wing, but the slope angle is not great. You dont need to be a P4 pilot to fly a speedwing. There are plenty of pilots who have learned to fly speedwings from the beginning with no prior paragliding experience. Of course like any air sport, the main skills should be humility, good education/instruction and choosing ideal areas that are appropriate for your skill level. You do not high wind to fly speedwings - at take off or landing. You can even do this activity with a light tailwind. Again, this is only my opinion from my experience flying speedwings. I agree patience is key in all of these activities in addition to being honest with your ability and the intention behind the activity. We are all unique and learn at different speeds and there is no set formula that works for everyone.

G
gary begley

Postby gary begley » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:04 pm

gary begley

Return to General