Simple and Constructive suggestion

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Simple and Constructive suggestion

Postby Ramey » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:19 am

The question posed is how to diminish problems of unprepared pilots flying local mountains.

I don't expect a definitive solution will be found for this, But perhaps implementing the following suggestions might help.

Most or Many visiting pilots need a lift up the hill. For paragliders there is a handy service for this which provides rides up the hill in exchange for making an pre-established contribution to expenses. In addition to the contribution, the providers of this service could insist that the pilot has:

• a 2 M radio.
  • a current USHPA card with the appropriate rating
  • a copy of a one page site brochure which would include
    • No figure eights at launch
    • Round house rules
    • Min altitude for making run to the beach
    • Refresher/summary on right of way rules
    • Radio protocol
    • Other useful stuff

otherwise, no ride.

This is not about implementing some idea of perfect system.
It's aimed a making a real improvement in a practical and doable way.

In order to set an example, If I am provided with a small number of brochures(15), I will store them in my vehicle (along with my extra trash bags). And I will pledge to require the above for anyone I drive up the hill.

By the way, it's 100 time easier to talk with someone about local rules and appropriate behavior BEFORE he's screwed up. After that happens, attempts to address the issue will often turn into a pissing contest. So this suggestion is practical for a number of reasons. I believe that in a lot of these cases, people don't want to cause problems, they just don't know about our particular rules and that handing them a brochure would be very helpful.

Robert Ramey
Ramey

Re: Simple and Constructive suggestion

Postby gary begley » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:42 am

Hey Robert, it is great to hear your voice and your ideas. They sound good. I remember flying in Europe and coming across a small brochure of info about the different local flying sites, nothing too dense. It explained the site's logistics, hazards, special forecasting if needed, and ratings with a few photos. Maybe this would be a great idea to add. In addition, we could have an electronic version on this forum doing the same thing. An online guidebook to the area, with photos, etiquette, descriptions and hazards. This is one step up....i am willing to help with an idea like this. Again, I know this doesnt take away all of the variables but the more exposure before something happens, the better.

Nice example:

http://www.chamonix.net/english/paragli ... liding.htm

Gary
gary begley

Postby Chris G » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Whatever we decide on I can easily amend to my already prepared brochures. Not sure we need the rule about no figure-8s at launch. Sometimes good pilots show up and that's the best place to get up and out but a good warning about this NOT being the place to risk landing in the bushes might be in order. If the thought of having to spend 4 hours detangling a wing doesn't scare them away from the terrain, maybe the fact that it's full of poison oak will.

There was some debate a while back at the SCPA meetings about about having an online site guide. I think the verdict was not to because people might elect to show up at launch without contacting a local guide, thinking that they already know everything they need to. That decision may be open to debate again in light of recent events.

99% of the time we don't have any problems with visiting pilots. They contact a local, they take our advice, they obey to the rules etc. I'm not yet convinced that re-stating the rules on a brochure will solve the issue for the 1% that doesn't obey the rules & recommendations, or in this last case, common sense/self-preservation. However, having a brochure will mean that every visiting pilot gets the same information, and nothing gets left out in an "DOH, I forgot to tell them about the round house rules" moment.
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby gary begley » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Hey Chris, I can agree with your statements that the majority of people showing up and flying and seeking local knowlede follow our recommendations. This being the case, I still really believe that will continue to be the scenario even if we were to have an online visitor "brochure". The positive aspect of the brochure is that it puts information out and allows the pilot time to look it over, read it and digest it ahead of time...instead of hearing it just on the ride up or at launch, which can often be an overload. It also keeps information really consistent. Another thought I had in response to the idea of "rules" is that maybe it would be beneficial to replace it with the word recommendation. This gives allowance for pilot judgement based on their ability (figure 8 example). I think we should be cautious using the word rule only in times there is a true consequence other than peer pressure (for example, ushpa, faa, city of sb, etc.). When looking online at other local paragliding clubs, it seems like many of them have this idea in place. It's a nice touch and looks organized. The San Francisco one is a perfect example.... http://www.sfbapa.org/

Gary
gary begley

Postby JimmyZ » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Nice idea... It would be a good thing to post on the website for download as well... for all club/school websites as we are getting visitors from all directions.
JimmyZ

Postby Chris G » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Here's a sample of what I have. This is for Alternator and it's by no means comprehensive but it's a start.
Attachments
Alternator.pdf
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 591 times
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby Chris G » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:01 am

Dean emailed me a few suggestions for the guide sheets. I've added radio frequencies, 146.46 and 144.250. I only have sheets for the sites I was taking new pilots, so don't have anything for Nordhoff, Skyport, or Wilcox. If someone wants to whip up some text and basic guidelines using Alternator as an example of how much we can cram in, and what kind of stuff should be on it, shoot it at me and I'll lay it out. Skyport will have to include round house rules, beach rules, Parma, St. Mary's, Snake Pit, launch rules, a warning about flying down the middle of canyons, and powerline issues. Wilcox needs pilot rating rules, tide issues, tree issues, top-landing issues, tree-clearance issues.
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby glenny » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:17 am

thats very nice example of some guidlines chris... i would be more than happy to help you with some more if you desire or need.... perhaps also a general guidline page would be nice saying stuff relating to general flying practice here auch as we don't fly alone... we try not to scare the local public... be kind as an ambassador to the sport...etc.. would also be appropriate

glenny
glenny

Postby Chris G » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:53 am

Thanks Glenny. You write it, I'll make it look purdy.
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby BobA » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:56 am

Sign.jpg
This is the sign we posted last year at Alternator, Skyport, Wilcox, and More Mesa. Please review and suggest revision, and we'll repost, as the signs are currently in disrepair.
The sky is calling.
BobA

Return to General