Big Sur launch closed?

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Big Sur launch closed?

Postby John Fritsche » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:29 am

Can anyone confirm that the Wild Cattle launch at Big Sur is closed, and if so, why/how/for how long? John Heiney told me this when he stopped by the LZ at Cayucos two weeks ago. I think he said it's another case of another A-hole Big Sur local managing to get another section of the top road closed or gated. This is what closed the best & most convenient launch up there (Plaskett) 10-15 years ago. So all that's left is "The Knob" launch? I was planning a trip up there soon, but if all we have left is the knob, I may not bother. :evil: :( :shock: :?
John Fritsche

Re: Big Sur launch closed?

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:47 pm

The Forest Service website http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/news/ ... ions.shtml has the following posted:

Due to safety hazards resulting from the Basin, Indians and Chalk Fires, most of the Monterey Ranger District, including the entire Ventana Wilderness, will remain closed to public entry through the winter. Hazards include falling trees and limbs, rockslides, and the potential for mudslides and flash flooding.

The following areas of the Monterey Ranger District will remain open:

* Campgrounds, day use areas and forest lands west of Highway 1 along the Big Sur Coast
* Plaskett Creek campground
* Nacimiento-Fergusson Road and Ponderosa campground
* the Silver Peak Wilderness
* South Coast Ridge Road south of its junction with Prewitt Road (South Coast Ridge Road will remain closed from Prewitt Road north to Nacimiento-Fergusson Road.)
* the Arroyo Seco campground and day use area

For more information regarding the closure and conditions on the Monterey Ranger District, contact the King City office of the Forest Service at (831) 385-5434.
Bobbie

Return to General