Possible alternative to Big Sur?

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Possible alternative to Big Sur?

Postby John Fritsche » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:04 pm

If the Big Sur plan is a wash and a bunch of people are still amped to both camp and fly somewhere else, there's the Carrizo Plain. Plowshare's less than an hour west and Midway Peak is less than an hour east. One or the other should work on any given day. There are two campgrounds on the CP. I think they're both free and normally deserted, but it's dry camping with vault-style restrooms. This is high, dry, desolate country---far from the Big Sur experience. And you may remember from old posts of mine that Midway isn't ideal for paragliders (though plenty have had good flights there). I think PGs could probably pioneer some hike-up sites on the CP, though. Food for thought...see the BLM website for the Carrizo Plain for more info.
John Fritsche

Re: Possible alternative to Big Sur?

Postby DBLD » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Are you planning on going to Midway? I've always wanted to check it out.
There's no time like airtime and no place like cloudbase!
DBLD

Postby John Fritsche » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:06 pm

I wasn't planning on it; I was planning on Big Sur. But if a group wanted to go, I'd be willing to play guide if Midway rather than Plowshare turned out to be the flight du jour. I'm not heavily pushing the idea because if it sucks, I don't want to feel guilty. In 14 years of flying Midway, I've got a 90% plus success rate (and that means soaring, not sled runs), but I've witnessed plenty of people sinking out, especially on their first tries. And the place has a rugged, desolate kind of beauty; it ain't Big Sur. If people want more info., send me questions. I also have a Microsoft Word document site guide I can send to anyone (is it possible to post it on here?)
John Fritsche

Postby tadbest » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:00 pm

can you send the MW site guide?
tad.best@att.net
tadbest

Postby John Hesch » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:43 am

Double D/John,

I'm thinking of heading to Plowshare on Wednesday. Give me a shout if you want to join.

John, 550-9497
John Hesch

Postby John Fritsche » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks for the invite, John. Unfortunately, I've got to work. Keep me aware of your flight plans, though---I often can go flying mid-week, esp. Wed-Fri. Have fun!
John Fritsche

Return to General