Soaring Presentation Aug. 14th

Multifarious banter, club business, announcements & greetings.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Soaring Presentation Aug. 14th

Postby Bo Criss » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:26 am

I got an e-mail from Terry Honikman this weekend. He is the owner of a Stemme S-10 motorized glider and he will be presenting a talk on the Stemme this Thursday night at 7:30pm.

I took a flight with Terry a few years ago and it changed my life. We took off from the Santa Barbara airport like a regular plane. At 4,000 MSL we turned off the engine, retracted the propeller and started gliding. The day was amazing. We used wave lift to soar for the next 1-1/2 hours as we travelled up and down the Santa Barbara Range. Eventually we landed as a glider at the airport, pushed the propellers back out and taxied to the hanger. It was truly an amazing flight.

Here is a link to the flight photos I took that day:

http://www.circlinghawk.com/sailplane.html

Terry is going to introduce his experience with the Stemme for the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association). Here's what the flyer has to say:

August Speaker, Terry Honikman
Terry Honikman and his wife Jane make their home in Santa Barbara. When he is not soaring, he
provides engineering consulting services to clients throughout California. He uses a T210 to reach
some of his clients. After learning to fly a Piper JC3 during 1961 in Cape Town, South Africa, he came
to the US to study aeronautics at Stanford where he continued to fly as much as he could on a
student’s income. With about 3300 powered hours and more than 900 soaring hours, he is still learning
about flying.

The Stemme S10-VT motorglider is introduced. It has allowed a soaring novice to jump into cross country soaring in a relatively safe manner. Several levels of cross country soaring will be presented, including the most recent soaring safari, along with some of the scenery that is only available from a cockpit. Participation in the ultimate soaring cross country, a coast-to-coast glider race to commemorate the Wright Brothers, will close the program.

The meeting will be held at 7:30 pm., at the NEW VISITORS' CENTER, 45
Hartley Place, Santa Barbara Airport (SBA). Visitors are always welcome!
Bo Criss

Return to General