Hang glider storage advice?

Stuff....For sale!

Moderator: Moderation Team

Hang glider storage advice?

Postby JimmyZ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:24 pm

I've been having a hard time finding a suitable size tube for my HG for housing my wing during the coming rainy season. Does anyone have one laying around or know where I could find one that would be suitable to store hang gliders? Any ideas of other storage options are welcome. Email me at james.zender@verizon.net.

Cheers!
JimmyZ

Re: Hang glider storage advice?

Postby oj » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:29 am

Irrigation supply stores such as Coastal Pipco have pvc pipe in diameters up to 24" in 20' lengths. It's expensive though, a 20" i.d. pipe runs about $30.00 per foot. The upside to that is if you paint it so it's protected from the uv rays it will outlast you.
oj

Postby JimmyZ » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:33 am

Hmmmm... that is expensive, but lifelong storage sounds pretty nice. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Anyone have any other ingenious ways they are storing their wings outdoors?
JimmyZ

Postby Tony de Groot » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:52 pm

Hey James,

I use a storage tube, the large size, and also store a glider under the eaves. I use a pulley system to lift the glider up to the bottom of the eaves. You can also extend your eaves using corragated fiberglass and put shelf mounted storage which is the easiest by far to use.

Tony dG
Tiger
Tony de Groot

Postby zippy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:17 pm

While a 20" tube would be very easy to use (and better for your glider), it is costly.

Everyone I know uses 12" dia. Just about every glider will fit snugly (with the possible exception of a blade wing with a mylar sail). They usually run just over $100. The end-caps however will be about $30 each, but you can seal one end with wood to save money.

Bonus, you can put a red cone in front, fins in back and paint "USSR" or I.C.B.M. on the side. I have some much more daring ideas, if you're interested, but I'm not going to post those.

I know people who've hung their gliders (the way Tony describes) in the hallway of their apartments.

Rusty Wheatly of Gunison Gliders makes some very good all weather glider bags, I need to order some for myself (and XC bags), so contact me if you want one.

hope this helps
"To obtain a bird's eye [view], is to turn a blizzard to a breeze" Incubus
zippy

Return to Gear For Sale