Places to Kite away from people?

A place for pilots to discuss issues related to the intersection of flying and the SARS-CoV2 Virus

Moderator: Moderation Team

Places to Kite away from people?

Postby Edd » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:03 pm

I would like to practice my kiting, but cant think of any places that are not crowded right now (Beach,Elings, parks) Can anybody recommend places to kite around SB?

Thanks
:?:
-Ed
Edd

Re: Places to Kite away from people?

Postby LNW » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:57 pm

Hey Ed,
Good question. I like to kite at Viola fields as mentioned in the chat.
Most city parks are fine with us being there. State and county parks dont appreciate us so much but I have personally asked specific park rangers before getting my wing out if it would be okay and they all said it's fine. But please ask for permission and not just rely on forgiveness.
Some of my other favorite spots to kite are at Bates, nice clean airflow and lots to practice there. The T landing. Normally the wind is nice there to kite in about any direction and if you walk a little ways up you can get off the trail and out of the spectators path.
The other place I would recommend is called happy canyon. It is a bit of a drive but can offer beautiful sunsets and kiting opportunities. It can be a bit more windy there so try to go when the SYA airport is blowing below what you're comfortable with, and has a good west component.
LNW

Return to SARS-CoV2 / COVID-19