we lost one (Tom Mayer)

Tom Mayer Died Saturday in DBLD's arms at Andy Jackson Flight Park

Moderator: Moderation Team

we lost one (Tom Mayer)

Postby DBLD » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:43 am

i guess it is in my hands to report that we lost a friend today inasmuch as his life slipped away in my hands. tom mayer and i went to andy jackson flight park (marshall/crestline) for an aerobatics get together. i don't even recall off hand the reason for it. to cut to the chase tom was one of the first contestants for the aero thing and it did NOT end well. his glider broke (reason to be determined) and he impacted with no reserve deployment. i was on scene within minutes as well as fire/paramedics and it was obvious that his life force was gone. the heroic effort was made to revive, but there was nothing we could do.

i would like to thank guy lindberg, the crestline soaring association, and the san bernardino fire and paramedics for all of the help and support in such a tragic time.

on the way back, driving Tom's truck with the wreckage, i was thinking of things to say in this post and when it comes to writing it the words fail me. what can you say when you have been so closely involved with a good friend? to have a totally fun day turn to trajedy is not easy to deal with. the kicker was that the next pilot to fly out, Bill Soderquist also had a failure, however succesfuly deployed and suffered only broken ribs etc. he was helicoptered out. at this time i have no update on his status.

at this time i really don't have any editorial comment except.... fly safe

dd
There's no time like airtime and no place like cloudbase!
DBLD

Re: we lost one (Tom Mayer)

Postby NMERider » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:37 am

removed by author
Last edited by NMERider on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
NMERider

Postby Lew Riffle » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:56 am

We don't get out alive and it is how we live that matters. Tom was a friend for life since he stood up for a geeky freshman being picked on at Bishop Diego High back in the 60's. A man of faith and conviction his whole life. He was never affraid to pay the price to do what he thought was right. I can only hope that his friendship resonates on after his death and that I have learned the lesson that the opposite of fear is love. I have faith that his death was as it was supposed to be. He died among friends. And in my prayers for Tom(and his friends!) I can only say...is this not the way it is supposed to be
LEW
Lew Riffle

Postby joefaust » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:29 am

joefaust

Postby sylviejbereni » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Tom shared his love and passion for hand gliding with me for 6 years. He showed me why he was so happy flying and took me on my first hand gliding experience in Santa Cruz. He loved to push himself whether it be hand gliding, surfing, snowboarding and biking. Tom is still flying. My condolences to his family and friends. I am mourning his loss.
sylviejbereni

Postby pinky » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:53 pm

I am deeply saddened by this news. I have known Tom for years within the flying community. But I came to know him best over the past past two years. Tom and I worked together at NuSil Technology. He came to NuSil with his great sense of humor, funny stories and a strong dedication to doing a good job. I knew on Friday he was heading out to Crestline, he was excited. I can't believe he will not be in work tomorrow. I will miss him very much.

Pam Truax aka Pinky
pinky

Postby Tony de Groot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:25 pm

I just can't believe it and I am so sad. He always had so much passion whether surfing out at Rincon or flying our local sights. He loved his new hang glider. I am just so sad about it all. He had also just traded his old sensor for a new Falcon3 and I was looking forward to playing in the sky with him on those low inversion days with our fun ships. I will miss him very much.

Tony de Groot
Tiger
Tony de Groot

Postby mikeh » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Don't even know how to think about this. After thirty five-ish years of playing on and off, and innumerable stories of adventure, and being occasionally involved with your family, all the cool stuff over the years. Then recently getting back in the air, and sharing the first flight. And the beach landing and the celebratory beer. All the crazy enthusiasm. Seemed unstoppable. How the hell did that happen? I'll miss you Tom. We'll all miss you, you kook. There's a big hole in my heart. God speed to your next adventure. Let me know about it. And don't hesitate to embellish.
Mike H
mikeh

Postby Skippy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:31 pm

I just found out about this tragedy. I'm in shock. We just saw Tom on Thursday night at the club meeting, and he was sooooo excited about looping a few at Crestline this weekend... I never imagined this would be the last time we would see him...
Tom was always so enthusiastic about flying, always pumped up at the prospect of putting his glider on weird angles, and always gave us something to cheer about when he did his aerobatics... Never a dull moment.
I will miss him.
My condolences go out to his family and Sylvie.
I'm bummed.
Skippy
Skippy

Postby Richard Saffold » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Tom, You always kept the flying and surrounding events spontaneous and ridiculously funny. I'm sure you haven't stopped this even though you have recently changed addresses as they say. But you will be missed till we meet again.

Cheers,

Rich
Richard Saffold

Postby JimmyZ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:30 am

Wow... what a TRAJEDY! He was so stoked on going to this event Thursday at the SBSA meeting. What an incredible guy... so funny... so talented... Tom, you are missed. My condolences to your family.

So SAD. :(
Last edited by JimmyZ on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyZ

Postby Danggirl » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:27 am

Tom and I met a short three months ago, but it seemed we had know each other a life time. He wrote the following for me on 05/27/2010. It seems very appropriate to share it with all his friends and loved ones.

"By consequence or destiny, the reason matters not where one finally finds a place to breathe to touch, to sing, to see the heart can play it's strings a sweet melody to dance"
TM,
recently 2010

I am so grateful for the time I had with Tom, he will always be in my heart

Coralee

PS...to all his friends. Pls do not hestitate to contact me. Tom wanted me to join u all soon....it was the reason he recently traded one of his gliders for one a beginner could manage. I live at the house.
Last edited by Danggirl on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danggirl

Emotions & Ramblings

Postby sd » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Some personal thoughts, emotions and ramblings.

I didn't know Tom as well as some of you. Even my wife Pam knew him better than I because they were co-workers at Nusil. We had our differences, but were bonded also, agreeing on occasion to disagree. He and I were the only current old school SBSA pilots in our little 3 stop light town. My kids and I would bike by Tom's house and occasionally chat in his driveway. I went for a solo ride along the bluffs last night and paused at his address. The house seemed an extension of Tom's persona. Trucks in his driveway with gliders on the rack, never to be flown again. No one home, or coming home. It felt lonely and empty.

Most of you know of his energy and enthusiasm, for flying, aerobatics, and many other activities like biking and surfing. He was competent, respected, and liked at Nusil, for many of the same vibrant qualities our flying community remembers. He was civically active, occasionally sharing his perception with our Carpinteria City Council. He had a colorful life, shifting through multiple career ventures like flight attendant, carpenter, and technical sales support at Nusil which required a reasonable fluency in chemistry and personal skills.

We both have 2 kids, one of each, but he started earlier and is also a grandfather. I feel for his family. It gives me pause. The flick of a switch, one corner too fast, a simple miscalculation, distraction, or perhaps a number spun at Russian Roulette.

The sun will rise tomorrow. We are still breathing, one day older, closer to death, more seasoned, perhaps wiser, but we mourn the loss of our brother who brought a unique aura to our table that cannot be replicated.

/ Tom Truax

I posted Tom's recent flight articles at:
http://paraglide.net/log/amigo/tom_mayer
sd

Postby knumbknuts » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:30 am

Dear Santa Barbara brethren and sistren,

I met Tom early Saturday afternoon as he introduced himself and I set him up for a big o loop ride, so he could practice another landing. I immediately found him a pleasant and affable chap and was looking forward to getting to know him better. My day was a busy one but, even before his last flight, the image of Tom folding up his wing to go up for the aero comp stood out in my mind in a freeze frame. It will be forever etched there as the image of a man I never got to know as well as I wanted. There was a simple, pleasant something about him that stood out.

For him, his family, those who did know him better, and those of us who just met him, my heart breaks.

John Wright
knumbknuts

Postby r.tylergross » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:36 am

http://rtylergross.wordpress.com/

If anyone would like prints or images emailed , please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best wishes to Tom's friends and family. My thoughts are with you.
r.tylergross

Next

Return to Tom Mayer RIP 6/5/10