Lots o' lift

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Lots o' lift

Postby andy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:06 pm

Thursday at skyport/eliminator, went up with Hammer and Greg and met up with Tony and Jim who had been eyeing the bypass due to low cloudbase and birds soaring everywhere out front. The clouds were pulsing in and out with great cycles on launch at 10:30, I was third off at 10:45 and went out front where I was met by moderate lift that became stronger closer to base. It was easy to maintain at base so I started doing laps between the AF and holy hills. There was a 6-7 mph SE so I worked on speedbar drills while the clouds were raising from 2900 to 3500, in the meantime the greyhound was sprinting over to tag the windmill at painted cave- the task for the day was to tag the windmill then Romero then go to the training hill- by the time the clouds were at 3500 I ventured West to Cathedral and hit some of the strongest lift I've felt in SB the meter was recycling about midway!

By now all the hangs had made the VOR and I was in the convergence that was pushing through so I headed back to the East with a great glide and played around over the AF for a minute but decided to head out because it was getting crazy with the convergence. All the greyhounds were on the way back and loving life except for Tony who made a detour and landed at Painted Cave. On the way out to Parma Marty called out and offered a ride back up so I hustled up and landed then rode back up with him and visiting pilot Gary from Alaska.

Round two had SW wind a higher cloudbase 4400 but just as much lift. Played around with Marty and Gary for an hour then went for lunch-thanks Gary.

The hounds made it to the hotDOG stand except Hammer who finished the task by flying back and going to the training hill!

3:10 total, max on the averager 1190 up
Andy
andy

Re: Lots o' lift

Postby Kabir C » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:29 am

For whaterver is worth.
The land that the windmill is on is the same land that I call home
We have some lawns that are available as bail out LZ if needed
Everyone here is friendly to flying people (only if you land here though..)

the owner told me yesterday that he saw some "of your frinds" flying around.

Cool then...
Kabir
Kabir C

Return to Flight Discussion