Colombia the Second Time Around

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Colombia the Second Time Around

Postby bhurlbett » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:38 am

On our second trip to Colombia, we spent much more time in meetings than in the air but had a great time seeing more of the country, particularly in the area of Bucaramanga, Chicamocha Canyon and Barichara. Sara and I arrived on March 2 and returned on the 14th. I flew Ruitoque overlooking Bucaramanga twice, then, with JD, flew Chicamocha Canyon, Barichara (an elegant, old colonial town south of the canyon established in 1741) and Chiflas (on south side of the canyon near the headquarters of Chicamocha Canyon National Park located across from our property).

The National Park tram that I mentioned in the last report should be complete in a few months and is now scheduled to top-out on our side just a mile or so from our lots. We can then launch from our property, land at one of several LZs along the river, tram back to the top on either side and launch, again. We should be able to make three flights a day—presently, the long road down limits us to only one before the canyon winds pick up (around 1 – 2 p.m.). From the bottom, however, we can easily make Ruitoque for the afternoon and evening.

It rained off and on during this trip but it dawned sunny and warm on the 13th and 14th and remained that way through at least early this week. Richi and JD are taking advantage of the weather. They’ve been in the air every day, flying with the chulos.

Sara and I closed escrow and, with Richi and Annie, spent a lot of time meeting with architects. In Bucaramanga, a landowner receives detailed conceptual drawings from a design team consisting of an architect, engineer and contractor. Charges begin only after a plan is tweaked, refined and approved by the buyer. Thanks to Richi’s contacts we are talking with three separate groups. Final design and turnkey construction costs range from $30 to $35 per sq. foot—not exactly in line with Santa Barbara prices!

Another pleasant surprise--lot 2 turned out to be much larger than we thought, thanks to a longer, wooded slope to the canyon rim that wasn’t evident on the first trip. Clearing started last week and after establishing a new seeding of Saint Augustine grass, lot 2 will become the principal launch for the South side of Chicamocha Canyon.

We also discovered that the trail to the bottom of the canyon actually begins on our property. It descends almost 4,0000 feet to the river along a series of very steep switch-backs—a nice trek down and, if you’re ambitious, a hard climb back up after a quick swim in the river. For those wanting a more direct route, base-jumping or rappelling from launch might be possible.

Once house plans are complete, construction will take 5-6 months. We are hoping for a move-in date by December. Christmas in Colombia, any one? (Pics, below)

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9QbMnLlu0YdQ
bhurlbett

Re: Colombia the Second Time Around

Postby irene » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:31 am

Looks like paradise to me ...
irene

Return to Flight Discussion