2nd weekend in April 2023

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

2nd weekend in April 2023

Postby sd » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:48 am

Saturday Morning Review

Today (Saturday) looks flyable, but unimpressive. Weak lapse rate with high clouds, but not much wind. Could be a good day for P2 pilots to iterate from EJ. Elings might work for Chad. The coastal cliffs look weak but could be marginally soarable in the heat of the day? Ojai looks better but also a sub-par day not worth the hike…

Tomorrow (Sunday) looks like it offers much better potential, but not from SB which looks flyable but trending inverted. There is some light east wind, but more of a SE than a NE. The Nuthouse should work but Oat Mountain in Fillmore likely offers more potential and is a drive up launch suitable for both HGs and P2s. The lapse rate away from the ocean is good, including Ojai up to Divide, where the better potential appears to be going OTB (near Divide) for better altitude, but all the access roads are closed, so bring your vol-biv kit. I think there is better potential to reach SB by benching back to the Watershed Divide Convergence for 10K then pulling a glide over the lower level stable onshore ocean air. The max distance potential is likely Oat to the Watershed Divide and then back to Piru late in the day. The high clouds are less of an issue on Sunday and Monday looks blue.

Monday / If you are flying the mountains on Monday, I recommend Oat and or the Nuthouse. Monday is similar to Sunday with some variation.

Tuesday continues to look better inland away from the ocean but the lapse rate is weaker and there is some potential for high clouds.

I didn’t look at Fig or Plowshare. It is Plowshare season, but there seems to be some east flow on Sunday and it’s a long drive from Carpinteria for headwind flying. You might be able to keep going that direction from the Watershed Divide, but the altitudes are a bit low for committing across non-retrievable wilderness?
sd

Return to Flight Discussion