Pine remains closed

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Pine remains closed

Postby Tom Pipkin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Quote from the Forest Service report on 8/29/07;

The revised emergency closure will encompass all national forest lands between Highway 166 and Highway 33. On the east side of Highway 33, the Pine Mountain Road (aka Reyes Peak Road and Forest Road 6N06), and all recreation facilities along the road will remain closed, as will the Boulder Canyon Trail (Forest Trail 23W03) between Pine Mountain Road and the Forest Service Station at Ozena. The closure affects approximately 663,435 acres of the 1.76 million-acre national forest.
Tom Pipkin

Re: Pine remains closed

Postby Jeffy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:08 am

Jeffy

Believe there are no limits but the sky.
Jeffy

Postby Southside » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:30 am

Some of us are heading over to Crestline for an attempted OTB flight to the desert. They've been getting above 10k all week out there and tomorrow looks like more of the same.

Surely someone will go out with us and take a stab at the 69 mile PG record. Me, I'm just trying to defend.

John
Southside

Postby Dean S » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:27 pm

John, let me know what the plan is for Sat. - meet time, etc. I might join you guys.
When in doubt...TOP OUT!
Dean S

Postby pengoquin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:28 pm

Marshall sounds like the best bet. Is there a plan in play?
pengoquin

Postby Southside » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:24 am

Good XC day at Crestline if you were able to stay ahead of the storm cells. I ended up in Johannesberg for an 80 miler, keeping the FW record in Team Topa's hands. However, the flight of the day belonged to Bruce Barmakian who flew to Lone Pine, which upped his own RW record to 168 miles. Tony landed at the 100 mile mark in Inyokern.

There was at least one PG on course, but I don't know where they ended up.

Btw, I left the front range with 11.5

John
Southside

Postby Tom Pipkin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:44 am

Nice work John.

Thanks for the report.
Tom Pipkin

Postby JimmyZ » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:25 pm

Sweet Flyin'.... Nice to hear some people are taking advantage of the monsoon season. :-)
JimmyZ

Postby Dizzy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:47 am

There was at least one PG on course, but I don't know where they ended up

I landed near El Mirage. Here is a story and some photos:
http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/forum/20070902/976

My original plan was to go NW, but I did not expect OD moved into desert so soon. When I landed I realize that the best route for that day was north direction. :)
Dizzy

Postby Southside » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:46 am

Dizzy,

I believe we shared a thermal just north of Lake Arrowhead (Fusion with Bretton Woods Foreign Exchange written on the leading edge).

If anyone cares here is my write up of the flight: http://www.hanggliding.org/weblog_entry.php?e=149

John
Southside

Postby BobA » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:57 am

Oh Yeah We Care ! In fact, Diablo left me news you had flown a 215 miler, so we quickly spread the word to all the HG and Sailplane pilots hanging around Lone Pine (flying the Owens) last weekend ! We even speculated you were flying Jonny Durand's RS 3.5 comp wing that you picked up for a bargain recently. Way to go. Congratulations on breaking the Creastline FW record !

Cougie
BobA

Postby Dizzy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:25 am

John,
Yes I remeber you, the lift was good and climb was easy. Thanks for report.

Alex
Dizzy

Postby Southside » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:14 pm

BobA wrote:Oh Yeah We Care ! In fact, Diablo left me news you had flown a 215 miler, so we quickly spread the word to all the HG and Sailplane pilots hanging around Lone Pine (flying the Owens) last weekend ! We even speculated you were flying Jonny Durand's RS 3.5 comp wing that you picked up for a bargain recently. Way to go. Congratulations on breaking the Creastline FW record !

Cougie

Yeah, someone just emailed me about that 215 mile flight. When I heard Tony leave that message on your phone, I was thinking "What the H did you say that for?" I figured he said it just to get you to call him back sooner.

If you read my report you saw that my motion sickness problem didn't just suddenly disappear.

Re the glider: just to clarify it was Jonny's 2005 S model; and after saying that he would accept my offer if I paid the shipping the guy had a change of heart and decided to wait for a better one. I wouldn't of had it in time for this flight anyway.

Dizzy, too bad you weren't on the same frequency to hear our direction.

John
Southside

Return to Flight Discussion