ROUND 2?

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

ROUND 2?

Postby Dean S » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:20 pm

I know everyone that has checked the weather this afternoon for Monday has seen what I just saw; 25 degrees in the attic, 55-60 degrees in the basement, up to 4 floors for the children to run wild through without adult supervision and plenty of white cotton candy on the ceiling to hang from (remember the monkey bars?).

Yes, there is a chance of OD. Higher pressure tomorrow might keep OD in check. Winds appear light so far for tomorrow and it's shaping up to be a lot like last Saturday. Post-frontal, pre-frontal...what more could you want...except a day off from work.

Bring your electric blanket, it's going to be freakin' cold in the attic. Again, early bird gets the worm. Assumung the forecast holds, I'll be at Parma @ 9 a.m. building a snowman.
Dean S

Re: ROUND 2?

Postby Dean S » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:28 pm

Everybody knows what happens when you set your expectations too high...

It didn't pan out as we had hoped but it was still fun. Max CB was around 4200 and it got very dark down range. I was a little early going through the pass and I started wrestling with some NE after Noon Peak. Couldn't get high enough at West Divide to justify the jump to Whiteledge with the slight NE component, too much sink. Plus, the lift was getting really rowdy the further East I went. Rather than wait for the West to push through I bugged out and had a nice glide out to the hot dog stand, joined Meyer and headed to Bates to watch the follies.

Those of you that had to work today can sleep soundly tonight knowing that you really didn't miss much today.

Monday Shots:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fllspdahd ... as,1%3af,0
Dean S

Postby Kabir C » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:14 pm

I dont know what makes me more stoked about today.
Making it to the beach for the 1st time or gettin to ride shotgun on the eagle van....

Maybe we didnt go far, but we sure had a good time!

Buenas noches!
Kabir C

Postby andy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:30 pm

Dean pretty much summed it up it got worse farther east. I only made it to shadow then scatched my way down to the wires at the bottom of the canyon. Then after farting around over that monument at the bottom of cold springs canyon I threw in the towel and was heading out to Westmont when I finally hooked something about 3-400 over and bingo... back in the game. Made it back up to parkers then over to AF then the tit and out to the beach for some over the water WOs.
Kabir I must say you looked good riding shotgun!
andy

Postby Ron M » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:43 pm

The day had the makings of something special, but conditions OD'd pretty quickly and cloudbase seemed too low and too widespread for a reasonable attempt at the pass.

Other than that, the day was very fun. Lots of lift, lots of sink, and a low save for some excitement. Didn't take any whacks, but had the vario pegged over 1400 fpm a few times. I took the drift from one thermal about 50 feet over a hiker on a road near some powerlines where I caught a fattie and went up 2000 feet to cloudbase...circling round and round using the hiker as my center of focus. I love it when that happens. I wonder what the hiker thought, watching me climb up and away while the sound of my vario pegged slowly faded away...

Ran downrange out on the front points eastbound, tagged Castle Ridge, turned around westbound, gave Deano a high five as we crossed paths, came back to Skyport, and enjoyed a super smooth glide to the beach.

Another great day in SB.

Pics: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_verve ... .dir=/3b5c
Ron M

Return to Flight Discussion