PLOWSHARE SUNDAY

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

PLOWSHARE SUNDAY

Postby Tony de Groot » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:39 pm

Well, while everyone was out having fun at the Rat Race we got in some fun flying as well over at Plowshare. The group was Bob Anderson, Bob Ramey, Skippy and myself. Everything went well, wind was blowing in just right and we all set up. There were some convergence clouds high up that looked promising.

I was first off and soon was low and lower(my usual flight plan) and then was joined way down low by Skippy in massive sink, and a nice headwind. If this continued I wouldn't even make it to a field but as usual found a little something and climbed back up and Skippy did too down low at her twin peaks area way out front.

Bob Ramey was off launch and was flying without a vario and was doing pretty good considering. Bob Anderson didn't launch for quite some time. Eventually Bob Ramey tried the valley in the hopes of something better but without a vario it was tough and soon landed but hey, a nice landing is a very good thing.

Bob A., Anne-Odile and myself were all high, well 6100 feet where we topped out and all went to different spots as we could feel the west wind coming through. Bob went the mountain route, Anne-Odile went to Spanish Ranch and I tried to get to the road. O.K. the road wasn't that hard but when I pressed on to head to the gap I noticed I was in a slight headwind and so turned around and headed back a bit and found some lift and waited and waited with around 4500 feet.

Bob was flying the foothills in front of the main range and was making progress getting up to about 7100 and Anne-Odile was getting higher at Spanish Ranch. Anne-Odile pressed on through to the Arena but didn't find much lift. I tried to move on again but there was still a headwind and again turned back. I don't think I'm exaggerting but I hung in that dang spot for at least an hour. Not over any specific peak just over the middle of a large field near the road.

Bob Anderson hit a headwind around Mcpherson and it pushed him way way back and he eventually landed between Cottonwood and chalk mountain in NE wind with a very nice flight. I just wanted to stay in the convergence but picked a REALLY slow day but at least it eventually moved. Each time I found that buttermilk lift going up so smooth I would see these small cumies way up high and it was the most pleasant flying I've ever had with a few unreal rowdy spots thrown in as well.

I was joined with some red tails around chalk and they were having a great time crossing the valley back and forth from Caliente to Mcpherson. I landed about a mile short of the barn as I pushed it too much in the end but I was completely satisfied. Four hours of fun flying in mostly buttermilk lift was killer in itself.

It was very sweet. The crew came back from the newly reopened Burgar Barn and picked me up with full bellies of burgers, milkshakes and beer and we were all stoked.
Tiger
Tony de Groot

Return to Flight Discussion