Tuesday @ Skyport

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Tuesday @ Skyport

Postby Chris G » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:53 pm

Rob called the meet time at Parma with high hopes. BL Top looked like 4k which is ok. Temp spread was only 20 and there was an inversion so we all kinda knew it wasnt going to be epic. Turned out to be a Van full of instructors and one student. We did have to wait a bit for it to heat up but when we finally got a few good cycles, and watched some birds climb out I decided to have a go. A few tiny bubbles at launch, but not big enough for a climb-out. Limped down to the AF where Kabir and I were able to hang on for a while but it was a bit sharp and it felt like there was a bit of a West in it. We got outrageously good glides to Parma and the Riviera where things started getting interesting. Very turb at Parma and we both alternated between a series of frontals and assymetrics. After finally getting it on the deck we watched the flags point at each-other, then straight up, then shake violently. Felt and looked very much like rotor or the edge of a convergence. Our theory was confirmed when the rest of the pilots launched, dribbled down to parma, and spent the next hour boating around at 1300 ft @ parma. Things seemed to smooth out a bit though the LZ was still alternating between East and West. Strange day but it paid off nicely for those who timed it right.
Chris G
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday @ Skyport

Postby andy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:21 pm

Yea it was an interesting day. I launched last and I think it was just starting to get good. I climbed a couple hun over launch and kept banging the lid then went over to the TF but was leary on kicking the bushes with the targa, so I went out and joined Rob, Lee, and Bo/Anthony for a cruise around the Riviera. It was kind of fun staying between 1000-2500 and getting lift everywhere. I must say the Targa loves to climb, even in the bubbles coming off of Parma I was able to climb out a couple of times from about 300 over. Landing was interesting but at least it was predominantly from the west by that time.

Andy
andy

Return to Flight Discussion