Lucky Flying at Chief - Friday the 13th

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Lucky Flying at Chief - Friday the 13th

Postby faoro » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:55 pm

Ojai doesn't get any better than this.

We took a packed vehicle up to launch at Chief Peak. Carmen was on Marty's lap in the back seat of Chip's new pickup truck. Alongside them were Art, Taliban Chris and Andy Dainsberg. Fast Eddie was shotgun and I rode the plastic console in the middle with the DVD player at my head until we reached the gate in Rose Valley. The lapse rate looked strong on paper and we knew we were in for high times when the cold air came rushing in the windows on the top of the back ridge. It was only 11 AM and the cycles were strong.

My rustiness from not flying much the last three months showed and I blew about four launch attempts before getting off at 11:30. Taliban followed close behind and it took one thermal and about four minutes before we were over Chief Peak. I topped out at 7,000 feet and headed east. The better play would have been an out and back to Nordhof Peak, picking up the west wind in the afternoon and going to Fillmore. But my time was limited (got to get ready for the SCPA meeting tomorrow) and I thought I would do a scenic trip rather than a long cross country. I arrived at West Repeater with 5.5K and worked up over the antennas to 6,500 feet and continued eastbound. Art followed me while the rest of the crew went west. The air got fairly dicey over the back ridge and I moved out front looking for more benign conditions.

There were areas of big sink between the Repeaters and I jumped from ridge to ridge fairly low over to Pucker's. There I rode the escalator - not even needing to turn - straight up the ridge over the wide fire break on top toward the beautiful Topa Topa Bluffs. As soon as I approached, I could see the bushes shaking wildly in the little draws between the faces of the bluffs and all I had to do was keep a little distance between me and the rocks as I climbed at 1,500 feet per minute toward the tops. When I had safely reached the summit and could relax and look down on those stately escarpments, I felt that liitle bit of pride that hits you every now and then in certain situations. I don't know who named us the Topa Flyers, maybe it was SD, but the name sure fits. From here, you could look down on the Ojai Valley and over to Santa Paula Peak and see forever over the charred landscape in back from last year's big fire toward the I-5. Quite a sight! No bushwacking necessary if you land back there.

I could see Art coming in below me on the ridge. He continued eastward to Fillmore. I topped out at 6,600 feet and crawled back westward over the back ridge. There really wasn't much wind, so you could go wherever you wanted. I got back to launch and the same thing happened as the first go-round. One thermal to 7,050 feet and I tried to make the high school on glide. A strong southwest wind put me on the ground just short of goal in Pipkin's Meadow.

Strong lift, beautiful skies and great crew. What more can you ask for?

1,500 up; 2,300 down. One and a half hour loop of the valley. Back home by 2 PM. Can we get as lucky when it's not Friday the 13th tomorrow?
faoro

Re: Lucky Flying at Chief - Friday the 13th

Postby Chip Bartley » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:17 pm

4/13/2007

Friday the 13th??? I say LUCKY #7. today was the 7th time up the mountains with the 6 prior driving down. Since my knee injury its been sketchy trying to launch and ended with that always hard decission to just say NO, until now. Today came close to the energy I felt in the rig last year on the way to Pine when the conditions where sick. The crew was fired up! As Ron said we shere packed tightbut, WHO CARES! on the way up you could feel the temperature steady dropping.

At launch it was actually kinda cold. We where all quick to pre-flight and get in the line up. Ron had a couple atemps and then off he went. Granthum was hot on him and had a great launch. Art punched of with his own style. I guess you call it the Dr. Air bump and go. It was actually a great demonstration of staying on course at launch (Hands Up). After Art Andy bailed and I set up. After a couple of botched attempts off I went and boy let me tell you, after 6 drive downs It felt bitchin to launch and get in the air. Flew out and right and hit the ridge fairly low and as soon as i passed hit a bomber and went to 6200 above Chiefs peak. Marty and Carmen punched off tandem and fast Eddie put out the all safe and in the air call.

To my left Ron and Art where very quickly disappearing in the distance and Chris had gone towrd Nordoff ridge. Marty and Andy and I where thermalling and They started to head toward Nordoff and I decided to head East and see just what thats all about. After esperiencing 800 a foot sink and not having the local knowledge to know where that next bump should be in theory, I opted to turn back and hang with the West bounders. Marty and Carmen took the high road and Andy headed toward 3 stooges. after seeing there results I choose to split the difference and boy did it pay off. In the middle of the valley 1/2 way to the other side I hit the Mother load that took me up to 6,950 at about 1600' per min. I topped out and went on glide to catch Marty and on the way toward White Ledge along the spine I was fortunate to hit another relatively strong thermal that aloud me to tank up again. All along the way Art is reporting in as he is reaching the touch points on the way to Filmore.

After another great glide Andy the "tandem couple" or is that "TRIPLE" and I hooked up for the glide to the High School. Chris had landed and was reporting gusty and thermic. We all landed within 30 seconds of each other and for sure had some big smiles on our face. Packed it up and I headed to Filmore to pick up the lone wolf, Dr. Air. His smile was BIGGER..... :lol:

Came home, hugged my kids, took out the trash, picked up my clutter, picked up the dog poop, took a shower and told my wife how beautiful she is in the hopes that tomorrow is a carbon. Maybe, the Skyport to Filmore??

Thanks for driving chase Eddie :wink:

62 Minutes 6,950 Alt 1600 Up and 2300 down Around the valley.
Chip B
Chip Bartley

Return to Flight Discussion