Big Sur

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Big Sur

Postby Chris G » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:52 am

Big Sur was ON! It looked a little bleak Saturday morning with thick fog covering the LZ, but by afternoon it was completely clear. Bo led the way after absconding with Jim's glider and showed us all how it was done. The lift was light 200-400 up but nice and smooth and boosted us up over launch for the top-landing-go-round. I think I got something like 5 landings in under an hour. And if you missed Tony's top landing with a HG you missed one of the great landings of 07.
For the evening we headed up to the 2100 for a bit of a fiasco. Nobody was quite sure where it actually was. Fingers were being pointed in about 6 different directions. Gary wanted a jump from the tandem so we headed up in the last direction we saw a finger get pointed and after a short but steep hike found a reasonable looking spot. Unfortunately we could see a short distance away, cars parked next to a road with gliders laid out. DOH. And just up the hill, even more pilots were flying past us. So it goes. The launch we found wasn't exactly ideal, and we had to hike for it, but we managed to exit cleanly and dodge all the trees. Gary did a perfect jump over the LZ with 600 ft.
Sunday was another beauty though not as buoyant at the house thermal. Folks seemed to end up at the LZ much quicker. Gary was doing another jump and we ended up over the LZ with 2k feet. A little windier with some heavy white capping offshore but the LZ was still 4-8.

Spectacular weekend with great turnout!
Attachments
DCP_1484.jpg
Saturday on the glide out
Chris G
Site Admin

Big Sur Photo Gallery

Postby Bo Criss » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:56 am

Great time up in Big Sur this weekend with everyone. Very scenic!

http://circlinghawk.com/BigSur2007/index.htm
Bo Criss

Re: Big Sur Photo Gallery

Postby Doug G » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 pm

Very cool pics! Great souvenirs from a fun weekend.

Thanks for sharing!
Doug G

Postby Parma Chris » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:00 pm

"FlynSB"
My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/flynsb
My Picasa Pics --> http://picasaweb.google.com/FlynSB
Where I learned to FLY! --> http://eagleparagliding.com/
Parma Chris

Postby Tony de Groot » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:02 pm

Big Sur was just spectacular. Friday was cool. Found bubbling lift on the NW spine, right near the trees enough for almost a couple hours of tight flying. Did some killer trail 90 motorcycling in the evening which was very eventful. There was damage and hospitalization though.

Saturday the flying was better. I knew there was good lift out there. Could see the hawks climbing out but no L.Z. as it was in the fog so did the "rigtht thing" and waited for the L.Z. to open. Watched Bo kill it again and again climbing out, top landing while the rest of us chilled. Enough!! Ran for my gear.

Got to launch and the L.Z. started to open. Good enough!! Nice flying and just to show that us divers can hang in there through my gear around to top land as mothers and daughters grabbed their children and ran!! O.k. wasn't quite that bad but it kept everyone on their toes.

Sunday upped the ante again and later in the day had a Condor soar in Anne-Odile and my thermal, with the ocean and coast line as a backdrop. Incredible!! Then as everyone left climbed out with Rob up over launch one last time. Killer! Flew out with Rob over the ocean and watched him do a little scenic aero. Big Sur worked it's magic this time for sure.
Tiger
Tony de Groot

Return to Flight Discussion