skyport wednesday gang

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

skyport wednesday gang

Postby andy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:26 pm

Another prefrontal day at sp- light SE wind, decent lapse, cumis poppin at 10:00, and cycles at launch, 10:45. Rob and Marty had the van with a full crew, and Greg had his truck full with 3 hangs and 2 bags. We all were hustling to get launched and join all the locals soaring all the usual spots. I was off second and started up in the house, but in my haste I forgot to zip my pouch and lost my stuff bag and strap in the first turn over launch, thanks Kabir for retrieving it. Headed to the TF and went to base there, about 3.4k, and it was Taliban, Dean and I off together. Dean started pushing ahead, I tried to stay patient and get what I could until I crossed Romero then I started leaving low and was lucky enough to get up when needed. Chris was patient and topped out his lift and when we closed in on the power-lines he was 600 over me and going up, I caught a good consistent ripper at the last southeast bowl before the lines and topped at 41 over the top of the power lines. Chris had already topped and started heading out to Carp, and Dean looked low and on his way out toward Bates so I decided to play it safe and left for the beach. Landed at the hot dog stand. The eagle van picked us up and on the way back to Parma Greg called and said they were chasing Hammer. He was in Fillmore and still in the game. He had passed me at castle ridge. Flight time was 1:55. Went and ate then hit the ridges for a short flight at bates, pretty cross, but doable.

As an aside, a pilot from South Dakota went into the trees at the base of rattlesnake canyon. He was extracated from the tree by search and rescue unharmed.
andy
andy

Re: skyport wednesday gang

Postby Dean S » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:14 pm

I think there was close to 20 pilots at Skyport today, maybe more...doesn't anybody work anymore? Andy's summary pretty much covers the day. The only thing I'd like to add is that Hammer made it to Magic Mountain today, he left us in the dust near West Divide.

I only got off a few shots today, low cloud base had my hands too busy:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fllspdahd ... fe&.src=ph
Dean S

Postby Tony DG » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:15 pm

All those people not working. I just wonder what all the excuses were. Sick, bird flu, deceased.......what??? I was way behind you guys but had a nice flight getting to the wires then headed back up to Romero Saddle and out to Santa Claus lane to wait for Hammer. Nice day.
Tony DG

Postby Chris G » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:17 am

Here's the tracklog. Not much else to add to Andy's post other than the low cloudbase was hurtin' us. It was nice to have clouds to follow but they weren't kicking off consistently enough to be all that useful. You'd arrive at a spine and have to grovel for 15 minutes just to connect. And when you did you'd only get 500 feet out of it. We covered 10 miles in 2 hours. That's averaging 5mph. The last time we went through we were at least double that speed and getting higher at each point.

I'm convinced Hammer was testing out some new propulsion device. He went by me like a rocket. Good thing he didn't waste time stopping for lift. He'd have wound up with us.
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:19 am

Was anyone playing host or guide to the tree-landers? Was the 911 call for fire department and search and rescue help really necessary (with the ancillary KEYT and newspress cameras right behind)?

It's helpful if everyone reviews and follows the same protocol, which in a nutshell is: if the pilot isn't hurt, don't call 911 unless it is to let them know that emergency help isn't needed if someone spots a wing in the trees. Everyone should be familiar with the USHGA Recommended Emergency Procedures http://www.ushga.org/documents/USHGAEmergencyProcedures.pdf

A credit-card sized version comes with your membership card when you pay your USHGA dues. http://www.ushga.org/documents/USHGAEmergencyProcedures.jpg

Help keep our clubs in good standing in the community.
Bobbie

Postby Chris G » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:04 pm

Yes, there were 2 guides in fact. Guides can inform a pilot all they want but if the pilot doesn't listen or trades experienced guide instructions for extremely poor judgement, there's not much a guide can do. From what I understand someone (a hiker?) called 911 before anyone at launch or in the LZ could assess the situation. Once 911 gets called it snowballs pretty quickly.

I was listening on the radio and folks on launch were doing everything they could to keep the situation under control. Cut them some slack. Stuff happens.
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby faoro » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:17 am

It's a shame that we garnered topspot coverage on both KEYT and the News-Press. People do love to use their cell phones to call 911. However, in this case, it was probably better to have the emergency crews available for help. Although I've been in the trees on several occasions and enjoy the challenge of extracting myself or others, this pilot was from out-of-town and was sixty-five feet above the ground. We may have been able to get him down, but an older pilot died in a similar situation a while back after a safe tree landing followed by a tragic fall once out of his harness.
faoro

Return to Flight Discussion