Chief Quickie

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Chief Quickie

Postby oj » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:41 am

Knowing that Sunday would be a non-flyable day, I had to make a go of Saturday. SB looked on paper to be under the inversion so decided to stay local. Thought about making some calls to get a group together but Ojai was overflowing with cops, barricades, and fat guys in spandex hoping to be confused with Lance Armstrong which made travel problematic. Ended up with Mike P and Taliban for crew at launch around 11:30 and airborne by 11:45.

Gusty S/E flow was more than forcast which made thermaling a chore. It was one of those days where your upwind turn had the glider pitched back and the gps showing little groundspeed, while the fast downwind leg resulted in floppy tips and mushy control pressure.

Went to Nordhoff Ridge with the minimum altitude looking for better texture. Surfed through the bowls finding plenty of lift but it still was not organized very well. Was at 34 something at the West end before getting a smooth one to 4200. Cashed in my chips and went for the high school, finding an easy glide out and some thermals along the way I arrived with a couple thousand over. Mike seemed to do better at Nordhoff Ridge and also came out with altitude to burn.

Not an epic day but much better than today. Thanks for driving Chris.

vario log: 680 fpm up, 680 dn, 5177 max alt, 59 minutes.
oj

Return to Flight Discussion