Pioneered a new site possibly? "RBs"

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Pioneered a new site possibly? "RBs"

Postby Bo Criss » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:14 pm

Looked like decent flying potential in Santa Barbara when I woke up at 11:30 this morning. Ron Meyer had left a message looking for flying adventure.

We decided to go check out Happy Canyon. It was blowing steady with thermals coming in, but not the kind of lift that would sustain, so we decided to venture up into the mountains further to Figueroa Mountain. We drove through a little snow and ice on the road to get there and finally found the launch. Feeling a bit of possible wind from the back, we hiked 1/4 mile up to the summit and it showed a light base wind over the back with cycles coming up the back as well.

We decided to drive on and found a dirt road that led us about 3 miles to the northwest of Figueroa launch. On the way there a bobcat jumped out and scampered down the road just ahead of us. The dirt/gravel road finally dead ended and we got out of the car with the "potential pioneer launch grin". It had a beautiful drop off on one side of the road with the possible launch options of South, West and even Northwest.

The sun was getting low on the horizon and Ron was wanting me to do the honors of the flight as he would drive for me. I tried to squirm my way out of this "honor", but he was insistent. So out of the bag comes the Boomerang 3 - a very tricky wing to launch in no winds on this flat roadcut (in fact a bit of an incline up to the end of the runway). I blew a forward launch. I blew a running reverse. The sun was getting low and it was time to send it. We repositioned for the best heading into the NNW light light puffs.

The third time was the charm as I flung my body through a narrow gap in the small bushes at the end of the runway. My glider surged to the appropriate airspeed as I swung under. Ron howled out as I set out for the setting sun. It was smooth butter air as I glided out past a promininent yellow pyramid mountain a mile further. It looked like another nice place to launch if you were willing to hike a couple miles further past the end of the dirt road. It's a prominent feature looking up from Los Olivos.

The sunset glide was fantatic - 4 miles from launch to landing in the smoothest air possible. I landed near a school at the bottom of the valley, packed up and waited for Ron. He picked me up within 30 minutes and we headed to Santa Barbara for a victory dinner at Los Arrollos. Thanks Ron for the great day and flight!
Last edited by Bo Criss on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bo Criss

Re: Pioneered a new site possibly? "RBs"

Postby Skippy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:08 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Got any pics?
The front range was really nice today, but spotty at time. I got a really nice smooth flight with a low save over the monastary after hanging on for dear life, hoping it would turn on again after getting flushed... Patience paid off, as I got back up to cloud base, and enjoyed a nice glide out to the beach after an hour or so of flying... It was also nice to only wear 6 layers of clothes instead of 7 last week... :-)
Skippy
Skippy

Postby diablo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:41 am

If you flew Figeroa Mt.-it was being flown in the 70's.
diablo

Postby Kevin Dumain » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:05 pm

Sounds like they were well west of Fig on the back ridge. Must of landed on Midland School property. I did some work for them a few years back. They're a very interesting group. They grow their own veggies, and the girls have to start a fire if they want a shower. A very alternative experience for teenagers.

The ranch manager is Ben Munger. He's a great guy and he always wanted me to come up and fly off the pyramid peak. That peak always reminds me of Bearback. Maybe?

The land to the north of the school is part of Midland's property, but the land to west of the school/valley floor is "Neverland." Draw your own conclusions about landing there.

Now that we're thinking about new old sites, I took a look at Point Sal on Google Earth awhile back. The big slide is visible, and it appears to close off the road spur down to the beach. The road to the top doesn't appear to be disrupted. If there's a goat path to the beach, it might be worth the trip in the right conditions. Anyone out there have some experience to contribute?
Kevin Dumain
Kevin Dumain

Return to Flight Discussion