retrieve etiquette

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

retrieve etiquette

Postby irene » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:09 am

I don't think it is a common problem in Santa Barbara, but it is always good to remember all pilots that get a ride at launch: please think about retrieving the vehicule that brought you to launch. It happened this week end: the pilot who drove up had to retrieve his vehicule late in the day, when everybody else was gone (including me, mea culpa) !
irene
irene
irene

Re: retrieve etiquette

Postby Kabir » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:07 pm

May I suggest that whomever goes to retrive the first vehicle gets to split the gas money received for the drive up.

Both cars are just as important I think.

Or is it up to the owner of the vehicle at the top to deal with that?

Also, since we are on the subject, if I go to the beach I would think of volunteering my vehicle to be picked up with as opposed to just asking if there is a retreive.

Are there any other ponits regarding retrieve etiquette?

Kabir
Kabir

Postby irene » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:26 am

Yeah, it sounds fair that the retrieve vehicule also gets some money for the gas. All of that (money, organization of the retrieve ...) is obviously tacit, and maybe needs to be discussed between the driver and the passenger on the way to launch. I am not sure some precise and general rules need to be establish, but maybe we can talk about it at the club meeting.
irene
irene
irene

Postby oj » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:56 am

As a passenger, there are some things you can do that will make it easier for the drivers. First of all, bring some money. Most people don't go to the store without their wallet, but I've seen pilots show up expecting a ride to launch without a dime in their pocket.

Offer to pay when you are getting into the vehicle or out of it at launch. The driver shouldn't have to follow people around trying to collect.

And one last thing. Take your trash with you. It's not fun to find a bunch of garbage behind the back seat at the end of the day.
oj

Postby andy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:43 am

One more tip for drivers is to have a hide-a-key, and let people know where it is hidden.
andy

Postby scott » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:41 am

Don't charge them unless the don't have a rack:)
If they buy a new truck and never put on a rack or take it too launch charge em :) Tony
Driving gives you good karma
I don’t charge but seldom refuse gifts
scott

Postby Skippy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:39 pm

Driving up is only 1/2 the equation. Retrieving the car or providing a driver is the second. Even if you don't have a rack (or a big enough one for 10 HG/PGs) you can still contribute by retrieving the car that gave you the ride up, or offer gas money if they accept it (some never accept money, for whatever reason). For example, Tony and I often do retrieve if necessary: this weekend alone, I provided 2 short retrieves and gave gas money on the third day, when I didnt' have to retrieve. I never ask for money when I retrieve a car locally (it's my contribution to the ride up).
Skippy
Skippy

Postby Ron M » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:08 pm

Another often underutilized solution for PG pilots is a local cab company.

Here is the number for one in SB 805 681-8369.

It costs about 20 bucks to get from Parma to Skyport and 20 bucks from East Beach back to Parma. Bring 3 friends and the cost goes down to 5 to 6 bucks each (including gratuity).
Ron M

Return to Flight Discussion