Sunday Sunday Sunday

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Sunday Sunday Sunday

Postby Bo Criss » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:59 pm

Nice day in the sky.

Took off around 11:15 and found a descent climb over the Bypass which climbed better over the Thermal Factory. Time to head east. All the points were working with good climbs. Scotty Angel caught up with me around the Powerlines and we semi struggled just a peak or two past there before getting high and gliding over to White Ledge (at first together, but not for long - Topless Hang Gliders rule!) In fact it was hard to spot Scotty after he pushed off.

Turning the corner and losing altitude as I glided over Hwy 33 with a few bumps from the venturi there, I connected 2 spines past the Nuthouse and started working my way through Ojai. Dean had been a thermal or 2 behind me the whole flight but caught up to me as we connected in front of Chiefs. There were some very strong climbs in Ojai with a bit of rodeo in them. I kept the low road as Dean took to the Topa Bluffs and skyd out!

I had enough altitude to pick up the spine at Santa Paula Peak and started climbing to the top. It was a bit windy and turbulent, but plenty of lift as we turned the corner. I worked the front points and Dean went for the deep freeze 1500 feet above me. I was around 4600 feet when I crossed the big canyon to Filmore. Dean later told me he was at 6500 where it was 18 degrees F. I wanted no part of that!

I had a nice glide across to Filmore and connected a little bubble just above the hills at Filmore. Dean had tried to connect to Oat Mtn. but had hit a head wind up above and was getting drilled. We crossed paths once more as he came out to the lower hills. I caught a light thermal that got me to the next hill above the satelite dishes. Again connecting with light lift I continued to climb slowly and drift further east as Dean found the road.

I got a few more small climbs but nothing took me high (maybe 2400 ft). I had Piru in mind, but I was 1 thermal short as I encountered a light base wind from the east. I ended up 1,000 feet above the highway, deep in the shallow terrain behind the massive powerlines that run the hills above the 126 highway. As I came into my final approach a coyote scampered up the hill 70 feet below me and I landed softly in a beautiful open area above a lemon orchard.

48 miles in 4 hours. Highest altitude 5400 over White Ledge. Cold fingers.

Retrieve:

I packed up as I continued to shiver and then hiked a mile down a dirt road through a lemon grove before connecting with the 126 highway. Dean had called in a favor of his girl Lori. She drove out in my best retrieve vehicle ever - a jaguar. For some reason she was willing to let our stinky selves have a ride of luxury. Driving up the Ventura highway as the sun was setting, eating all of Dean's chocolate covered pretzels and praying quietly that my fingers would return to normal - I felt good and tired from a great day of flying with my amigo Deano. Thanks Lori !!!!!
Bo Criss

Re: Sunday Sunday Sunday

Postby scott » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:34 pm

siiiiiick

1/14/07 max altitude 1 mile Launched Eliminator 11:30am 31.27 miles just past chiefs then back to bomb launch 62.54 miles total out and return point to point. I never saw one hanglider mabe 5 bags and one rigid. its good to be lucky

I gotta go
I'll write mo later
siiiiick
scott

Postby diablo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:39 am

Congratulations to all 3 of youse guys! I struggled at takeoff and Nune Peak while Scotty was at Nordhoff. Decided to attempt an out and return but was at least an hour behind Scotty. Low at Boyd's I turned west bound. Never did get established on the west side of 33 and flushed off 200" below Bump 3 to land at Rancho Matilija. With the cross country season coming on it might be nice to adopt a "cross country" frequency that way everyone flying same could communicate. I know I personally enjoy hearing how the lead pilots are doing when I'm in the back! :(
diablo

Postby scott » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:33 am

Saturday south side tagged chief and I got Nordoff but we were denied by the North West once back to Romero saddle I made our beach LZ with 300’ south side flew back to his truck at hotdog stand. I was stoked until south side told me I have to tag launch for it to count and SD did it farther in a bag.

I launched first at 11:30am and hooked the house thermal glided to thermal factory @ 4000 I head off for three Para gliders to the east I met up with the first bag at Montecito peak and passed not sure who on glide to Romero.

I meet Dean at castle, just past the Divide moto track on glide. I climb out on the spine between snowball and castle 4000+ coming up on Bo I caught him just passed the wires.
Here I am at noon peak at 12:10 knowing I am ten minutes late I found no lift Bo and Dean Join me and I use them to see where the better lift was and climbed with Dean.

We made a play for west divide Dean slowed up a little so Bo and I worked together on west Divide. Then I no see no one. I was getting good climbs the rest of the first leg. I grab a couple turns at white ledge then glided to bump 3 glided for nuthouse then for Nordoff climbed a bit.

Here is decision time my chase was at home not on radio, I could see haze off too the east pretty sure I’d catch a head wind before I5 so I glided past chiefs for the turn point. I had 004Esddsdsordoff as a turn point the day before only to be reminded of sundowner’s Para glider out and return with chiefs as a turn point.

So I used the 3 mile legend on my gps to gauge eye ball the mileage. I am freezing and I need to go pody. I fly out to the last bump east of chief make sure it is working then fly out away from the lift to thaw out and relieve myself.

Success I fly back to the thermal but it is gone I fly out thinking I just ruined my flight and was preparing to pick an LZ toward 150 and finally get one at 2400’ I get a good east drift to 5000 I see Bo and Dean gliding eastbound low at chiefs questioning my decision I make the play west bound for Nordoff Diablo flies over me heading east.

I work my way up Nordoff and didn’t get anything at nuthouse I just glide for bump three barley getting there I work ridge lift to the next broken thermal again and again up to white ledge but I’m low lots of shade looking up at white ledge wishing I was on top I had to fly around it out front and work up the front only to the top couple hundred over so I glide to the back ridge line worked everything I had to be patient to make it.

I surprisingly found some weak lift here and there since the wind where light allowing me to work all point heading back.
I love this kind of conditions where there is some kind of lift and little north wind the north wind only got 5mph. SD gave me my Hang four rating 5/31/1995. It is good to beat your mentor :)
scott

Postby craig » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:39 am

As you would say
sick!
Get High, Go Far...
Craig
craig

Postby hhcutlip » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:19 pm

All these tales of epic flying are killing me.
hhcutlip

Return to Flight Discussion