It looked good on paper???

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

It looked good on paper???

Postby andy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:48 pm

Syport tuesday and it was shaping up to be a great day we were all talking about the pass and Fillmore..bla bla bla, cycles were rolling at 10:30, and crows had climbed 800-1000 over launch with a little south drift, the clouds were starting to pop, so I launched. Nada until I got to the ant farm and then I got reeled in hard until I started bouncing off the lid at about 29. So I did the ridge dance up to the top of the TF then it was staight to base at about 5k.
Headed to Mont and was flying about 8 mph faster than I should of and I say to myself WTF its supposed to be lite south out here. Anyway I get to mont and straight up to 52, nobody coming and the line of cars on the 101 north was backed up to the Rincon so I thought I'll fly a lap and forego the traffic nitemare. Well on the way back to shadow I'm feeling about 8-10 west but I'm looking good still high moving well on bar and then the bottom falls out and I'm counting the leaves on the manzanita at shadow. Scratch around for a while and get enough to maintain, but it looked like everybody was getting up off the big rock at the TF so I headed there. MISTAKE... I found myself scambling to cross the lines at the hairpin on Gibralter then get wakked and ragdolled and finally lifted in a ripper that I could barely hold onto until I was finally over the AF. I did manage to get to about 32 and it was about what I needed to make it to parma. I had a groundspeed of 9mph on bar from RH ridge to monestary. I haven't cried momma fornicator so much in a long time. It was good to get on the ground at Parma.

Where did Hammer and Scotty end up??

And it looked so good on paper...

Andy
andy

Re: It looked good on paper???

Postby Hammer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 pm

Hammer decked it at Nordof High School because there was no one left to play with. ... oh yeah, and no logistics
Hammer

Fly Paper!

Postby Dean S » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:00 pm

I didn't fly today, as did most, but I felt like I had just watching the gliders being worked by the NW winds up high and the strong West down low. The air seemed to be possessed by an odd combination of UFC, WWF and a touch of Glider Whack-A-Mole. I watched Andy and Kabir as they made slow progress towards Parma taking whacks, pitching, rolling and yawing. The cycles and gusty winds were coming from all directions at launch and it sent the rest of us packing and pouting...

In this next part of my post I’m talking primarily to newer PG pilots with limited experience. I observed some unusual flying tactics in the last couple days so I thought I’d throw out a few words. Santa Barbara is an amazing place to fly but it’s also a difficult place as well. When conditions are calm and winds are light flying from our two primary launches and making the primary LZ’s is easy. Winter conditions are generally a different story and it raises the bar with typical winds out of the North and Northwest that spill over the back bringing plenty of rotor with it. If the winds pick up and don’t allow you to get to the primary LZ’s, your options start to get very thin with all the power lines, trees and houses in the area. The last few days are a perfect example of that with seemingly good conditions on paper that turned ugly once we got in the air making it difficult to make the designated LZ. As I sit here writing this I'm still surprised, and relieved, that nobody got injured over the last few days because it could've easily gone the other way. Just last year I had a rotor experience down range in very similar flying conditions and hit the deck hard, but was fortunate to land in heavy scrub oak and manzanita that saved my bacon. I know several others with similar stories as well. There's no substitute for experience when it comes to judging the conditions for the day and deciding whether it's within your skill level to fly. Even at 500+ hours I still consider myself a green pilot with plenty to be learned about the weather. I’ll be the first to admit I still make bad decisions and now and then I find myself in situations that are difficult to get out of. If Mother Nature decides to give you a spanking it’ll probably leave a mark.

Here’s some rules of thumb reminders to inexperienced pilots when flying in stronger conditions, especially when conditions are cross and/or over the back. Cross conditions are unforgiving and you’ll be lucky to get away with just a slap on the wrist.
1) If the day looks great but you don’t see any PG’s in the air, only HG’s, there’s probably a good reason.
2) Before you launch have alternate LZ’s picked out just in case you can’t make the primary.
3) If you find yourself fighting a headwind to the primary LZ and there’s any question whether you’ll make it or not, locate your alternate LZ as soon as possible. Don’t be afraid to take the drift to a downwind LZ, it’s a lot better and safer than swimming upstream.
4) When flying in the lee, as we often do in SB, stay away from the top of the ridgeline (unless you’re high). I know it’s tempting but it’ll eventually bite you, especially when you’re low. When the North is spilling over the back try to stay out on the front points, generally the lift is better there anyway.
5) In cross conditions stay out of the canyons. Stay on the windward faces of the spines and follow the spines down. If you‘re coming up short to a spine upwind don’t push it unless you have too. Instead, fall off downwind to the windward side of the next spine and work it from there.

*If you fight the wind, more often than not it’s going to win. Instead, use the drift to your advantage.

I’m mentioning these things because I observed pilots in several situations along the range where these rules of thumb would’ve come in real handy in the last couple days. These reminders are part of our P2 training that we really can’t afford to forget. If anyone else has some helpful input please jump in.

I’ve been real lazy this year about photos, however, I have a few from yesterday:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fllspdahd ... cd&.src=ph

**HAMMER – nice flying the last couple days, you make it look too easy.
Dean S

Re: Fly Paper!

Postby andy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:21 am

Hey Dean thanks for the wisdom. I would add the importance of doing a thoughtful "on the ground" preflight plan. Thinking of what may be encountered and contingency plans, etc.. The idea that we can think our way out of problems by the seat of our pants while in the air is foolish and has put me in bad situations. I like to take some time before each flight and try to visualize as many negative situations as possible and the solution before I pull the wing up.
Be in the moment. If I am focused on distactions such as making deals on the phone before flying, or fixing equipment on launch it only takes me out of the moment.
Know your wing, what will it do...speed, penetration, glide, speed bar, collapse recovery, etc.
Use a GPS, a great safety tool.
For me doing SIV (and even acro) manuevers has probably been, other than listening and following you guys, the most important learning experience I have had. I was able to control my wing yesterday in a couple of situations that were very challenging only because I have practiced so much in safer conditions. So I totally recomend and want to eventually teach manuevers courses. They work and they make you a better pilot.

I think you should be commended on practicing what you preach Dean, you have been a great role model and teacher to me!!

Andy
andy

Re: Fly Paper!

Postby Kabir » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:12 pm

Having been one of the test samples on the last couple of days I'd like to thank Dean not only for his latest words of wisdom but also for being my "spoter" as i was experiencing some of that "strange" air down low.

On monday i made my first XC flight to Santa Caus lane and I was looking for more of the same on tuesday.

Got to 4450 over the thermal factory and hung there for a while.
I weanted to follow someone down range, but after seeing Andy P making his way back from down range i figure i better just go land.

I realized after not too long that I was on some decent head wind when steping on the speed bar only made me go down without much forward motion.

I tried to stay on a thermal for as long as I could even though i was getting worked on the way up. But I let go when i realized that was getting blown further away rather than "up"
I opted to try to crab my way to parma but before i knew it, i was in some serious sink behind the antenas (on moment i was at 3000+ next thing I know i was in the canyon going down pretty fast)

i did consider drifting with the wind out of dodge but I did not get a chance to execute it even if i had wanted to. for i got nailed by the rotor.

It was very strange to have no horizontal motion. I would alter heading but the only direction I was moving was down.

Luckly almost as i was getting ready to put it down A tiny puff allowed me to fly away from the canyon and then a second one gave me a chance to make it to the ridge where the lower parma trail ends.

I hit the side of the hill just shy of the trail.

As i was getting my wing out of the bushes i heared some sirens and it ocured to me that they might be looking for me.
I asked for someone on the radio to contact the fire department to let them know I was Ok in case they where in fact looking for me.
But before long I heared their engines on the trail

Went up to meet them and apologised for the false alarm.
They asked me over and over if i was Ok , where was my glider and if i was the one that called.
I told them that probably someone from the houses across the the way called them.

They where pretty cool about it.
One of them helped me get my gear on my bag and they gave me a ride to the trail head.

All in all a great learning experience.
And Im sure glad i got so lucky.

Again
Gracias Dean!
Next time I'll just go with the wind.

Kabir
Kabir

Postby scott » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:28 pm

Siiiiiiick...It was cracking - super good lapse rate, high pressure thermals and the North West wind mixed it all up. I got the call from Diablo he would be coming through Parma 9:45. I went to work put out the fire and got a hall pass. If it weren’t for Hammer setting up for a three peat I would have stayed at work. Diablo and fast Eddie got caught up on 101 north bound. James was headed home, dropping off Ramey, Hammer and me at Eliminator.

Already setting up was Greg, Jim and the sky port was filled from the Eagle limo. I was up to bat first of the hang gliders there were bags all over TF and I think Andy was highest. I launched and surprisingly didn’t get much lift I headed for TF and scratched at the bottom with two Para gliders. It wasn’t until Hammer came in low and found something to the SW part of TF did we all get 3600 this is plenty high for me and east bound I went. I saw Andy low on his way back to TF. As I arrived above shadow I looked back to see hammer way higher and on glide. I was able to arrive just above Montecito Peak I got good lift but I was too low for it to be organized. So Hammer was able to use me. My vario showed a south drift @ 4000, I glided for a cloud NE I pushed out in the lift and rode the range to Romero. I followed Romero spine to the front peak and climbed real good. I left Romero at about cloud base under and behind hammer. I was able to glide to the back ridge line and rode the spine to the peak before the wires 3.7 miles before turning. Hammer was behind me now, but higher as usual. The thermal drift was 300 deg. 10mph at noon peak; I wasn't too high maybe 4000'. Besides taking a half hour or more getting up at TF we made good time getting to noon peak, it was noon (Is this why it’s called noon peak?) I could see its blue ahead and going to take a lot of work and a possible deployment before I make I5. I was done I was hoping to get some lift out front but really would be satisfied on the ground. I glided down wind above Chismahoo Rd only connecting slanted thermals drifting me hard towards NE at 100 fpm. I would have been committed to foxtail so made my way down Chismahoo. I tried to top land a small hill next to the road once my feet touched the ground I thought I was done, I was picked up about 30 feet flying backwards. I headed down towards a ranch road to the west and zig zagged some wing over / figure eights only to over shoot the ranch road. I was then able to fly over the ranch and land 90deg. to the dirt road one stepper.

I’ve flown for the past 16 years and still can't read the weather. Thanks to Kev and DDster for retrieve!!!!!!!!! I’ve got cool Google track logs. It is fun to watch the google tour. This year I made Mega Mans and past Piru twice almost landing in the same place only across the street and down the road a couple hundred yards. One rule I like to go by is: Don’t fly if the wind is over 20mph. Not to fly if the wind gust are greater than your stall speed. If you don’t fly today you can fly tomorrow if you get hurt today it could months before you fly again. Be sure to preflight your glider and hook in, leg loops too. Is this enough of my thoughts South Side? :)
scott

Postby Southside » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:55 pm

scott wrote:Is this enough of my thoughts South Side? :)

You did good my son -- keep'm com'n.

Re the wind: The fact is you never know what it's going to do from one day to the next. Once we were up there and it blocked with 35kts NW winds at 10k; at least three of us flew to Piru that day. But then you get days like Sunday where we had such a great lapse rate and only moderate NW winds. Yeah, we got off the hill eventually, but none of us were able to hold the high ground once we were on course. Perhaps, the angle of the sun had something to do with, this being the winter solstice and all?

File this under for what it's worth: I've noticed that when the winds are predicted to be out of the NW, and the OTB wind is light through Flores Flats on the drive up and we get early up slope cycles at launch, we don't get our normal block. The cycles end up being teases and it starts blowing down again later. However, when the OTB wind is strong through the Flats and the turn around at launch comes a bit later, it stays turned around for a consistent block.

John

This post has been edited. It seems my memory was a bit exagerated. I went through Sundowner's log and the winds aloft were at 35 kts not 60 mph as originally stated. I seem to remember after I posted a flight report on a HG list, someone coming back to say that he was fighting a 60 mph headwind in his Cessna some where near Mojave on the same day.
Southside

Return to Flight Discussion