Monday, Monday...What a day!

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Monday, Monday...What a day!

Postby Hammer » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:07 pm

Christmas is early in Santa Barbara this year of us pilots! It’s unusual for me to get two days in a row of flying let alone two great days back to back! Yesterday’s flight to Ventura was great and today’s flight was icing on the cake. Once again it was Diablo in the lead off launch with me in his shadow. Fortunately I drew the better cards at launch while Diablo suffered a pair of deuces and had to play his hand at the antenna farm. The guy is good though. He bluffed his way up to 4700 before leaving the “factory”. Meanwhile I managed to scrap my way up to 4500ft before giving chase to couple of paraglider types already on course. Stopped at Monticeto Pk to tank up but it was no problem blowing past the “chunky monkey” and his pal at Ramero. From that point on I had no one to pimp off of out front. I knew I had to keep the pedal to the metal ‘cus Diablo had a full head of steam and those “para” types DO NOT give up! From launch to Noon Pk. the air was just plain snotty! At Noon I came very close to flushing but at the last possible moment hooked something that took me from 3700ft to just 5000ft. From there to Whiteledge Pk. it was cake. Slipped into the front of Whiteledge at 3800ft and found a fatty that was silky smooth to 6000ft then moved back to the peak fallowing a very large golden eagle. My observations coupled with some prior knowledge lead me to the decision to hang a “u” turn at this point. So I tanked up on altitude and headed west at 7200ft. Made it west of the power lines on a glide. Then the real work began! As on the way down the air was “snotty”. Maybe even worse for the return trip! Eventually I managed to pass over launch at 3400ft and continue west for maybe a hundred yards before being smacked down in the lee of the Double R. At this point I placed my tail firmly between my legs and scooted for the “holy hills”. From here my chances were good to make the beach but one more climb to over 4 grand sealed the deal. Now I had the beach made and could relax while I listened to Terry T. slog his way back from the same Whiteledge turn point. Congrats to Terry on a long hard fought flight! Thanks to Kathleen for the wonderful logistic support.
Hammer

Re: Monday, Monday...What a day!

Postby Hammer » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:14 pm

Just found out it was Andy and Greg that I passed at Ramero. I know they eventually landed at the hotdog stand but I don't know any details of there flight or opinions of the conditions. Hopefully they will fill us in on there great flight.
Hammer

Postby andy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:59 am

Hammer I was in total envy of your machine on Monday. I launched second and was able to hook it at launch then over to the TF and up to 48, waiting for Chunky Monkey I headed back toward launch and got drilled with some incredible sink so I limped back to the TF and waited for Greg to climb out and we were off on course. I almost through in the towel crossing over to Monticito because I could feel the NW rotor, but we persevered and climbed out at Mont and headed out. Then here comes the Hammer and makes it look so nice. Must be nice to slice through that bumpy surging "which way is it coming from air". It was nice inside the rising air but the edges were nasty, and it was COLD. I know stop whining we like the cold. But by the time we passed Castle Greg topped out and headed toward Carp with frostbite, I went on and felt positive about the pass. At the power lines Diablo and I were looking for a good core to speck out in, but it was just broken scraps that were strong but unorganized. That cloud over Whiteledge was looking unfriendly with some kind of NW and E convergence going on so I headed toward Carp for some warm air and nice grass to pack up in. At the ridge above the High School I found some lift that I could have climbed out in but that cloud still looked ominous. Greg and I were soon joined at the soccer field by Dean, Marty, and Lee, with SA on tandem, and Kabir just coming up a little short. What a good day. After we packed up there were some wild looking clouds forming over the ridge with a N to S orientation like tiger stripes down the range.
Maybe better today!

Andy
andy

Postby Southside » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:54 pm

andy wrote:Hammer I was in total envy of your machine on Monday.

Let me be the first to welcome you over to our side :-) We can use some new blood.

To Hammer:

Keep up the writing it is very much appreciated. But I have a request: it would be nice to know the thought processes that lead you to certain decisions during various conditions. Truax is good at that. He'll describe what he thought was going on and the steps that had taken to take advantage of the situation. Always a nugget in there somewhere.

Little John, your thoughts would be appreciated too. How about posting every once in awhile? Same with you Scotty, JR, Terry, Aaron and anyone else that never or rarely posts here (as of late that includes pretty much everybody). We can all learn from your successes and mistakes.

Sorry, Scotty and Aaron, writing that it was "Sick" doesn't count :-)

Thanks,

John
Southside

Return to Flight Discussion