Gear Rescue Attempt II, (a must read adventure story)

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Gear Rescue Attempt II, (a must read adventure story)

Postby Tom Pipkin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:39 am

I received the following email from Brendan on monday and felt like it needed to be shared.

Before you pass judgement on the wisdom of his efforts, keep in mind that he's an acomplished mountain biker with many recent hours logged on night rides (total darkness). This trip started out as a typical training ride.

Brendan's story
Here’s a quick summary of my efforts yesterday:

Left the house around 12:15. Started riding at Romero Trailhead at 12:50. It began raining around 1:20 and didn't stop. Gained access to E. Camino Cielo a little over an hour later at about 6 miles in. Dropped down about 1 mile. Then onto Divide trail/ORV road. Trail was muddy, had to push bike up lots of hills. Arrived in vicinity of Noon Peak about 3:45. GPS read .78 mile to gear. Tried each direction on road but distance increased. Stashed bike and started bushwhacking. Thought better of it because I remembered that the map showed gear to be .33 mile from road. Retrieved bike and began pushing with GPS in hand. Pointer flipped direction every 20 seconds. Then settled on the opposite direction I was heading. Since I had the same results earlier in the other direction, and since it was now after 4:00 and starting to get dark (and I was freezing cold and exhausted), I gave up. Started back, but spent most of my time pushing the bike because the trail was very muddy and the chain would bind on the slightest incline. Was able to ride the down hills. Wind whipping over the ridgeline was severe and cold.

It became pitch black shortly after I started back. High power headlite wasn't able to cut through the dense cloud/mist for more than 15 feet. Fatigue caught up with me. No options for rest or fuel (I ate the 2 power bars in my pack hours earlier). Felt very alone and vulnerable that far into the back country with poor visibility. Only wearing shorts with tights, a light fleece vest, and a windbreaker. Had to keep a good pace to stay warm enough but found it difficult to summon the energy to keep moving. Began to fear 3 things, getting lost, getting injured, or mechanical failure; any of which would have had very dire consequences due to the cold.

Fortunately did not lose the trail and regained E. Camino Cielo road. Had to push for the mile back up to the ridgeline. Arrived at water cistern utterly spent. Could not have gone much further up hill. Laid on my back in the mud for 10 minutes, but was so thoroughly cold that I had to get back on the bike. It was all downhill back to the trailhead, but my state of exhaustion made it difficult to maintain balance while riding. The trail is challenging single-track, alternating between slippery mud and large boulders. I knew where I was, and I knew I could walk out if I had to, but the possibility of injury was still a big concern (magnified by several close calls).

I got back to the car a little after 8:00 PM. So completely frozen that my hands shook too much to be able to take the front wheel off my bike to put it in the back. Total time out was over 7 hours. 38 miles covered. Don't know the total elevation involved (a lot). Fruits of my labor - zip.

12 hours of nonstop eating and sleeping has brought life back to my body.

Brendan

Tom Pipkin

Re: Gear Rescue Attempt II, (a must read adventure story)

Postby DBLD » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:01 am

Thank you, Tom for the post. Brendan! That is truly an amazing story. You did not come up with zip. You came up with an experience to really be proud of. You blazed a trail for future efforts (may they not be nescessary). EJ is beaming down on you and proud as he could be. You are in the ranks of men of steel.
DD
DBLD

Postby diablo » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:33 am

Does this exploit count towards the Blue Footed Booby Award or do you have to "fly" in to qualify?
diablo

Postby Ramey » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:02 pm

Be sure we sign this guy for next year's bike ride!!!

Robert Ramey
Ramey

Postby Ron M » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:36 pm

All hail the KING

(bowing down with hat in hand)

Now THAT is a proper topa tale.
Ron M

Return to Flight Discussion