Sunday's flying

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Sunday's flying

Postby diablo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:28 pm

Fast Eddie and I were afforded the treat of flying Mike Arrambide's property, 1500 msl, a mile west of Rincon Peak, 2200 msl. We had passed Bates, twice, where it was already blowing in at 15+ mph. We opted for Mike's in order to get in a little socializing and flying. It would blow 5-15 mph at his property from the west south west. Once above Mike's property you could turn and fly up hill to the peak. Earlier in the day cloud base with apprx. 3K. My plan was to try something different which was to try and connect on the Oxnard Plain. After tanking up at The Peak I flew back up wind to nearly Bailard and then beat a hasty retreat back to Rincon to tank up for the ride back to Ventura. I left Rincon Peak at cloud base-2400 msl, trying to beat the advancing storm, and arrived at Solimar Peak with 2300 without turning. The air was very bouyant and smooth. At Taylor Ranch and 2700' I sent Eddie out to Victoria Avenue with the idea of landing behind the car dealerships. Arriving at Victoria Avenue with 1900' I continued towards Camarillo, unfortunately the skys had become overcast with the approaching rain. Eddie went to Rice Road at that point and at 800' I opted to land in a harvested celery field at the corner of Rice and Autocenter Road. I think on a little less developed day it may be possible to fly to The Santa Susana Mountains which begin east of Saticoy and continue into the San Fernando Valley. Terry Taggart made it to Ventura-the last I heard was that he was at the Avenue at 3100' which seemed to be the "right" call-I opted to forgo The Avenue due to the more southwesterly direction. Bob Ramey was at Rincon Peak with me- I never heard from him after that.
diablo

Re: Sunday's flying

Postby Ramey » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:26 pm

I left rincon peak at 2650 and headed down to taylor ranch. I left there at 2800 and made it to the marina. I helicoptered down to the beach in a very strong but smooth head wind. Teradactile came in a couple of minutes later. A very nice day.

Robert Ramey
Ramey

Return to Flight Discussion