The 3 Amigos

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

The 3 Amigos

Postby Chip Bartley » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:05 pm

First I want to say that I am stoked that Hansford is doing well and wish him a speedy recovery. Secondly, I wanted to share a positive story about the day. After the first group of pilots where well down range. I caught up with Ron and Bob at Parma after launching and having to sled to Parma do to some unfixable technical difficulty. It just so happened that they had things to do before flying and where headed up the hill as I was landing. This was a good thing since it was my first chance to XC in Santa Barbara. As you can imagine I was out of my mind when I realized I may have blown my chance when I had to abort my first flight. Passing the thermal factory seeing everyone headed to Montecito Peak, when I was on a direct heading for Parma, SUCKED. Anyhow, now for the good part. Jumped in Ron’s car and headed to Sky Port. We got to the top and you could feel the energy and I new from there stories and experience that it was probable that we where still well within the window of success. By the time I sorted out my wing from my forced issue, Bob and Ron where over the Antennas and working there way to the thermal factory. I got up about 200 over launch and decided to leave the house thermal and catch up. All the way to the thermal factory I was in lifting air and made it there just in time to see Ron head out. I joined Bob and started working it to get enough altitude to head down range. As soon as we did we headed out. We made the first crossing and Bob hooked up on the first spine a couple minutes before me and gave me a great line to follow. I was able to get high at this point which was a big confidence builder after loosing a lot on my glide. So, off to Montecito peak. On the way the clouds where rolling in and it was pretty nerve racking scrambling to keep out of the cloud and keep Bob in sight. Of course this is where I started my chatter on the radio that obviously exposed my inexperience (remember, this is my first time ... ANDY :lol: ). We headed further down range and after a while we caught up with Ron. It was great to finally see Ron who was cruising around with Bob down below as I finally hooked a nice one and actually got to see the tops of there gliders for once. The icing on the cake was the very buoyant glide to Carp. Once again I want to say thanks for the encouragement and knowledge to help me grow in my flying. This is a great community of people and flying these gliders is awesome.
Chip B
Chip Bartley

Re: The 3 Amigos

Postby Chris G » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:14 am

Congrats on your first trip downrange Chip! I remember the first time I went that direction I was so amped that when Pipkin picked me up I couldn't stop shaking..heh
Here's to your first steps toward Ojai! May you gently step over whiteledge and not in it....;)
Chris G
Site Admin

Postby Chip Bartley » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:59 pm

Thanks Chris, hope all is good in New York. By the way......if I step in it I made sure to add your recomended brush trimmers to my bag of tricks. Hopefully they will never be used. Anyhow, have a good one and be safe.
Chip B
Chip Bartley

Postby Chris G » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm in Athens Georgia now with Atlanta Paragliding. We've got a big 4 spool tow rig hooked up to an Argentinean ford engine..woooooo fun...heh
If you do visit White Ledge don't forget to sign the guest book!
Chris G
Site Admin

Return to Flight Discussion