11/26

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

11/26

Postby andy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:33 pm

What a brilliant day. Lots of lift, clouds all over the place pilots salivating on launch, base at 43+, and the pass was under base.
It was all going well Marty and I were playing the catchup to Dean game and we had made a little progress. At the lines we saw Dean at West divide and Hansford at the knob past the lines we crossed over the first canyon after the lines and were specking out when I heard a loud thump and a wing impacting. Hansford had piled in just below me on a ridge just above a rock pile. I was yelling down to get a response and at Marty to let him know what was up, and finally Hansford sent his mayday and my heart sunk when he said he couldn't feel anything. We circled above him sending out calls for a heli. After a bit Hansford said he probably only had a broken arm and was asking for a route to hike out, so we decided to head out and assist from the ground. Within 5 minutes of landing at Baillard park we had 4 black and whites there getting things organized via radio and dispatch. Then the bird showed up and we watched as they lowered the medic and circled around before picking up Hansford.

Apparently he has broken his arm and maybe some ribs and was taken to the hospital. The police were great about letting us know what was going on in the air and getting things taken care of. We should sent the Carp police a thank you, and the SB sheriffs as well they were great.
Thanks to all the people on the ground for helping.
Andy
andy

Re: 11/26 - Hansford

Postby Skippy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:32 am

I'm bummed I missed what seems to have been a great weekend, but I'm more bummed to hear that Hansford was hurt this weekend.

Andy, thanks for posting some initial info about his accident, and reassuring us that his injuries aren't life-threatening. Thank you all also for coordinating his rescue. He could have been in a world of hurt otherwise. So kudos to you all.

Is he still in the hospital, or is he back home? Do you also have any info on what happened to him? Did anyone witness his accident?

The season is kicking in, so please everyone be safe out there.

Skippy - SBSA Prez.
Skippy

Return to Flight Discussion