S.B. Fri. 11/24

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

S.B. Fri. 11/24

Postby oj » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:23 pm

The weather forcast for the next couple of days call for increasing clouds leading the way for some rain due on Monday, so I thought today might be the day to get out.

I counted 12-15 paragliders and less than the usual number of hangies throughout the day. I guess the HG folks take the work and family/ holiday thing more seriously than the baggers.

As is the case over the past few months, the early birds had to struggle to stay up while those that waited a bit got up right at launch. One of the hang-pilots was kind enough to show that West was the way to go today, so I avoided the gaggle over the AF and joined Chip for some crowd-free thermaling over the R&R. Climbs were slow but real consistent, the vario chirping away for minutes at a time.

Topped out at about 4400, I think there was a couple hundred more there somewhere, but that was more than enough to glide to the beach and join Bob H. who was packing up his Trango on the grass. Another nice day in S.B.

Vario log: 520 fpm up, 720 dn, max alt. 4391, 55 minutes.
oj

Re: S.B. Fri. 11/24

Postby Chip Bartley » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:46 pm

without a doubt a great day at Skyport for my first visit to the R&R. Anticipating the opportunity to visit the R&R I had spoken to SA to get some pointers a day or so prior and OJ and Art where very helpfull on the ride up (as usual) I wasn launch after Bob H and ART and right before Robb and OJ. Caught the house thermal and ended up about 800 over launch in a very short amount of time. I looked down range and it seemed that the party was ending at the Thermal factory so i decided to join Bob and Art at the R&R.

Bob was up high and Art had just arived and was scratching his way to certain lift. I went on glide and was excited to check out a new area. Made it to the R&R fairly low but intersected the second spine and worked my way up in smaller thermals until I found the big one. I entered the thermal toward the top of the spine and started to climb at an average of 600-800' per minute with spikes over 1600. I topped out at 4500. OJ joined me after Art amd Bob had left and we flew around for quite some time. We finally headed out after some good fun and taking in the insane view. I landed at Parma and OJ had a great glide to the beach. I appreciate all the local knowledge and encouragement. I cant imagine learning this sport anywhere else.

Vario: 1600 fpm up, 900 dn, max alt 4497, 1hour 25 minutes
Chip B
Chip Bartley

Return to Flight Discussion