Skyport 11-18

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

Skyport 11-18

Postby oj » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:10 pm

Just another beautiful day in S.B. A good turnout with a couple of visiting pilots thrown in. Gene, an experienced pilot from Flagstaff that has been flying over 10 years, and Cherie Silvera, who needs no introduction, came into town to take advantage of the weather.

A somewhat high-pressure day made for slow climbs but the turb factor was very low and everyone was able to boat around and enjoy the day.The house thermal at Skyport was working really well but it was difficult to take full advantage of it since there was a lineup on the pg launch, in addition to the usual hg crew up on the Eliminator ready to go.

A poor glide out to the Roundhouse had me wondering if I was going to be the Thanksgiving turkey for the day but the usual spots were working and I was able to stay in the game. Coming around on the front side of the ant. farm my vario suddenly spiked and I took a quick breath in anticipation of being blasted up by a monster thermal. ..but nothing happened. A quick look around and I realized I was directly in front of one of the microwave dishes on the farm. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. For the next several minutes I flew around thinking I WAS the turkey and I had just cooked myself. But it appears there's no damage. But it appears there's no damage. But it appears...

Topped out at just 3150 over the AF but the reports from those on the beach were positive so I went on glide, clearing the fwy with 1100 and having enough to fly over the water and watch a pod of dolphins playing just beyond the surfline. A lot of people get to see dolphins, but very few from our vantage point. As I packed up on the grass in my shorts, enjoying the 76 degree day, I realized we are very lucky to have such a great place to live and play.

Vario log: 600 fpm up, 900 dn, max alt. 3150, 1 hour airtime.
oj

Re: Skyport 11-18

Postby scott » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:55 am

Good work John,

It was great to see everyone yesterday.
I was one of them hangies in that house thermal. Soon after I launched a Para glider launched. The thermal was tight and the lift was weak. We tried to thermal together for a while but then the pilot flew away for the thermal factory I struggled trying to make a lap but was denied the first attempt to west bowl. I heard LJ was 4300 he connected La Cumbre Peak from EJ bowl and was able to make VOR Siiiiick. Not me, I tried that route and was not patient enough I left EJ bowl at road level trying to connect La Cumbre but arrived 40’ above the saddle from there I headed to west bowl (stuck bowl). Never able to ascend I dwindled my way down below inspiration point where I decided to stuff it in to SA’s house.

I hope to see everyone up today too [i] :lol: [/i]
scott

Small pictures inside

Postby Robb » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:21 am

The weather looked to be calm, so I brought along the camera for a first attempt at flying pictures. No suprise, the ones on the ground came out better than the ones in the air:

This guy was making his first flight in SB:

Some more panache here:

A future pilot:

A rare sighting:

Perfect landings away from the Iceplant:

Suffering through another winter in Santa Barbara:

These and more can be seen full size at:
http://www.pbase.com/randr_resort/sb_nov_18_06

Robb
Robb

Re: Skyport 11-18

Postby Ron M » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:18 am

Who's the guy on the purple and gold wing? He thinks he's fancy but it looks like he's ready to land out.
Ron M

Return to Flight Discussion