EMS radio contact conversation re Big Sur

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

EMS radio contact conversation re Big Sur

Postby Rich » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:10 pm

From Luke Wayman: We spoke earlier about the radio freq everyone will be using up in Big Sur this weekend. So what I've discovered is that we cannot dial in 146.460 in any of the local medical helicopters that may respond. According to our most recent USHPA emergency plan there's one pilot preferably at launch who would coordinate the incident and call 911 with whatever information they could gather. That's where our own emergency plan stops as far as coordination me with emergency medical services. I'm working on a plan that addresses the lack of coordination between EMS and the USHPA incident coordinator. Ideally the fire department would arrive and you, as the USHPA incident coordinator, would talk to the fire guys and communicate with glider pilots to gather patient information and location, then The fire guys would handle coordinating with a responding helicopter or ambulance. In the case of Big Sur I find that 911 usually gets a helicopter, ambulance and fire department on the way at the same time and the helicopter usually gets there first. Now this is our current problem. Because we fly in, can't talk to you, don't know if any gliders are still in the air and don't know where the patient is. My 2 solutions are: I can bring my paragliding hand held radio in the helicopter on those days and keep it on 146.460. The second option is if someone has a hand held aviation radio can come up on 123.3 and we can monitor that air to air channel if we have to fly into your flying area this weekend. We can monitor 123.3 over the weekend. It is the FCC designated glider freq for the FAA according to AIM 4-1-3. could you ask if anyone has an aviation handheld that is going to Big Sur? That would be the best idea. Thanks so much!!
5:04PM
Hey Luke: I'll post this thoughtful info on the forum for comments. Often our cellphones don't work up there north of San Simeon, so dialing 911 is problematic, unless coverage has gotten better. Best it seems for you to carry your personal 2 meter. Aviation radios are a rarity amongst our crowd. On another note, weather seems dodgy Friday. Rest of weekend may be windier than optimal. Thanks!
Rich

Re: EMS radio contact conversation re Big Sur

Postby Cormac » Sat May 21, 2016 6:07 pm

I don't know the local band to get to EMS out there but I am friends with one of the local forest service guys that lives at the house across from our Prewitt Ridge LZ. I would also recommend everyone to get the CalStar insurance which covers you in CA, parts of OR and NV as well. Bummed I missed this trip this time!
Cormac

Return to Flight Discussion