SB Sunday 4/3

Past, present, and future flights, meeting times & places, theory.

Moderator: Moderation Team

SB Sunday 4/3

Postby oj » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Watching SD go through Ojai on Saturday at 7k got me wanting to dust off my mountain gear and head for the Sunday meet at Parma. About a dozen people in the Eagle van headed for EJ's, including a young couple going as tandem passengers. The girlfriend had set everything up and her boyfriend didn't even know where he was going until someone asked him if he had ever been paragliding before. Too late to bail out, we were already on the drive up. He was game though, and from what I saw they both enjoyed great flights.

There was a strong inversion below 3k and anyone that failed to hold the high ground got flushed pretty quick. I was content to just run laps between La Cumbre and Shadow. A couple of brave souls pushed as far as the VOR but the reward wasn't there and they came back low. Plenty of smooth fatties to climb in elsewhere though and it was nice to just boat around with no agenda. I wanted to land at the beach but getting back to the car would have been a problem so I burned off 2k over Parma, taking notice of a huge new windsock at the south end of the lz which upon closer inspection turned out to be a glider partly stuck in a tree.

Vario: 760 fpm up, 800 dn, max alt. 5600, 1 hr. 50 minutes.
The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.- J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
oj

Re: SB Sunday Report

Postby sd » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:20 am

OJ, thanks for the Sunday report. Good to see your knee still permits an occasional mountain flight.
sd

Return to Flight Discussion